Chapter 55

Emma's POV

"Uh Emma, isn't that Brendon's house? And wait, I thought Brendon's dad was in prison or something?" My dad said, turning to look at me.

I spoke too soon when I said things couldn't get worse.

"Emma? You okay? You look like you've just seen a ghost" my dad said, as I gave him short nod.

"I'm gonna go to my room" I tried to say, but it came out like a whisper. I got up and slowly walked up the stairs to my room.

I closed the door and laid down on my bed.

I burned down a house.

And not just any house, but Brendon's.

I also killed his dad.

I'm a murderer.

I tried to think back to last night properly. No reason why I thought the house looked so familiar, it was Brendon's house.

I shouldn't have been drunk, I shouldn't have thrown my cigarette at that stupid pile of wood. I shouldn't have even gone to the damn party.

It's all my fault.

Suddenly, my phone was ringing. I quickly picked up my phone and looked at who was calling.

Brendon.

Even though a part of me yelled don't answer, I did.

"Hello?" I said in a tiny voice. " Hey Emma, uh I know you hate me right now but can you please come to Levi's house...really need someone" he said. He sounded so upset.

"Okay, I'll be there in a bit " I said, sighing. I don't care how much he hurt me, I'll be there for him when he needs me.

I quickly got changed out of my jammies and put on an over sizzed hoodie and leggings.

I put on my converse, grabbing my phone, I jogged down the stairs.

Ugh my head was killing me.

"Hey dad, I'm gonna go to Levi's house, can I borrow your car?" I asked. "Sure" he yelled from the living room.

I grabbed the car keys and rushed into the car.
------

I got out of my dad's car and walked towards the front door.

Just before I rang the door bell, I took a deep breath.

The fact that I'm the reason his dad died is torturing me.

I pressed the door bell and Brendon opened it.

"Hi.." I said. Before I even realized, Brendon pulled me into a hug, burying his head in the crook of my neck.

"I think you heard what happened right?" Brendon mumbled after a couple of seconds.

"Yeah.." I said, trying to push away the voices screaming at me and telling me that it's my fault.

Brendon and I walked into Levi's house, he informed me that he was currently staying at his house until his mom finds another one. Levi wasn't around because he had to go practice something for basket ball.

We were currently in the guest room Brendon was staying in, on his bed.

"I can't believe my house burned down. You know what else I really can't believe? My dad died saving my mom. I guess he did really change, and all these months, I let the past haunt me, every single night. Making me hate my dad more each day and now all I feel is..guilt and regret. He really changed and wanted to spend some time with me, we all could have been a perfect family again, but all because of me..." Brendon said. I hated this, I hated seeing him upset.