Bitter Or Better

Finian's POV

Her whole body shifts up, spine straightening, shoulders back, a pausing moment just for herself before I watch those lips of hers start to move with a hidden smile. My fur ruffling up with the way she thinks she's so cunning. I have seen this so many times, she-wolves jockeying for position around me, using one another, making someone else seem less while puffing themselves up.

This is a new tactic for Victoria, I'm bringing out her worst. Usually, she just kills the wolf never toys with them. Does she really think she can play this kind of game with me?

"I'm sorry you mumbled something under your breath. I didn't catch that. What did you say to me, Finian?" Looking at her from head to toe she watches with eyes that track mine. Her body tensing slightly while I settle my gaze on Charlie who's sleeping content in her mother's arms.

Is this the world my daughter has to grow up in? Publicly parents are untied privately they are separated?

"You heard what I said." I'm not going to play that game with her. I'm done playing any kind of games. Taking a step towards her, she doesn't take a step back, and I like that.

"Why are you so mean to that female? She has done nothing wrong I told you it was me! Leave her alone. She's not well." It's an order that Victoria can stand up against, my voice doesn't hunch her shoulders, her spine doesn't curl in.

"If you want to fight with someone fight me. At least then it would be almost a fair fight." She doesn't say a word.

"I'm not sure what kind of game you're playing at? But it needs to stop now. She isn't in any kind of condition for your games." Meela can't even hold her head up let alone play this kind of game with Victoria who's head will always be raised no matter what condition she's in.

"I said you're a bitch! Tell me, am I wrong? Prove to me that I'm wrong." Challenging her to say something in her defense. No words come out of her mouth.

"That's what I thought." It's an ugly voice I use on her, showing her my displeasure of trying to be hustled into a game between females.

She takes a seat on my right where she belongs with Charlie on her lap. As I approach the table, she eyes the plate in my hand, honing in where I might place Meela's plate. Instead of doing what she thinks I'm going to do I take the other two plates from the table. "It helps yourself tonight." Giving her my knowing smile that she's been caught trying to play with me.

She taps her foot on the floor a little hard, her body bristling outwards.

"I have been around too many she-wolves jockeying around me for the position." Setting the plates down on the table so my hands can go on both of her shoulders. Her blue eyes are looking up at me, long lashes framing them like a work of art.

My beautiful abstract art.

"You don't need to jockey for that position; you own it. Nothing can take that away from you. So stop trying to test me, you won't win. I've been watching this game for so long not to know what you're up too." Her face drops by being called out.

"Victoria, I was wrong. I admit that but what you're doing is worse. The spot is yours, but right now do you really deserve it?"

Morphing malice that flexes tendons in her neck, "I don't deserve it, really? Because the only reason why I'm sitting there is for her. Not you!"

The demon that's been standing by in the shadows puts a clawed hand over its mouth muffling its laughter. Always the demon laughs at me, heckles me, never leaving me alone.