Part One: Serenity

Today is the day... I finally get to leave this... Cage, that my mother put up all those years ago. And trust me when I say this, I'm very much ready to leave. Yet, the only thing holding me back was those two morons that sat on the rocks behind me, watching me as I stared outside... Just past the barrier.

"Serenity, why do you want to leave this sacred place so badly?" One of my best friends', Rayne asks, concern lacing her voice as I felt her presence right behind me, her hand gently placed on my scarred shoulder. I looked over my shoulder at her, I only sighed.

"Oh, Rayne, you and Lotus just don't understand that... I'm an adventurous person. I want to break out of this so called, "sacred place." I mean, are you guys really not sick of seeing the same people every day, and doing the same things each and every day?" I ask, not wanting to really believe that my friends are really this... Dense, in this kind of situation. That's when we heard a loud laugh came from behind us, only to see Lotus.

Rayne and I turned around to look at her, seeing her wipe away a fake tear as she moved closer and stood in front of us. A large smile on her lips as she brushed her long, flowing red mane to the side over her shoulder, making Rayne and I looked at each other with confused looks.

"Serenity, are you kidding me? Sweetie, we can't leave. Ever. Even, if we tried... You know, your father is the only one that can leave, along with merchants and guards that leave and enter through Mercadonia's entrance " Lotus scoffed, as I rolled my black, charcoal like eyes as I stared at Lotus with slight annoyance.

"Lotus, I understand that... But, I mean, has anyone really tried to exit out the barrier by not going out the entrance?" I ask as she looks at me with a slightly annoyed look. Granted, yes, I loved these girls like they are my family but they just don't understand where I come from.

"Okay, okay, Lotus... Don't get upset about this, I mean, Serenity has a point." Rayne says, motioning towards me as I smirk some. Lotus gave a small expression of anger as she looks from Rayne to me.

"Thank-" I started, only to have Rayne hold up one of her hands and silence me, which made me fume slightly.

"No, I didn't mean you were right... I meant that you had a POINT, I never said that you were right into questioning the protection that our queen Irene put around our homes. We, especially you Serenity, should be thankful." She states as I look at Lotus with a slight hurt look. I mean... They both had a point in this.

But, that didn't take away my want to leave...

Suddenly, the loud ringing of our city's bell went off, signaling that the warriors had returned from the patrol with success. Rayne and Lotus looked at each with large smiles, it is that they always admired the "handsome," guards, but they weren't really my type.

They both began to swim off back towards the city, but I just stayed put as my tail gently swished back and forth. I hated leaving this area... I always had this feeling that I would never be allowed to come back, especially since I'm the soon-to-be queen of Mercadonia.

"Hey, Serenity! Are you coming or not?!" Lotus yelled as she and Rayne both waited there for me. I looked at them and bit my lip some. I shook my head, wanting to hang back to... Figure something out. They both looked at each other and shrugged, only to take off towards the cheering crowds.

I watched them as they both went out of sight, giving me the all clear to go and grab my hidden crown from the spot that I hid all of my personal belongings. Once, I had it in my possession I took off towards the "special" area that you can exit the barrier. My tail swished fast against the gentle current that went all the way through the city. Just as I was about to reach my desired area, only to be stopped by a voice.

"Um, Serenity... Where are you going? Shouldn't you be heading towards the castle?" I recognized that voice from anywhere... It's Lowell.

"Hi, Lowell... And, oh, yeah, well you see my dad has me dropping off a few things to the-um... Merchants! Yeah, and so I really have to go get this done. So, if you don't mind..." I stuttered trying to get past him, it is that he is the main guard that is appointed to protect me, even from the most redundant things.

"Ah, ah, ah Serenity... You know, your father would be infuriated if he knew that I allowed you to go to the barrier without a proper escort. Also, if you are heading towards the merchants why are you heading towards the barrier anyway?" He asks I could tell that he had caught me in my lie... But, how was I to know if I could trust him to not tell my father about me leaving...?

I stood there for a second, trying to decide in that moment if my friendship with this merman was really that important... That's when I decided, it wasn't.

In a heartbeat, I swam away; this caught Lowell off guard and I could hear him quickly swimming after me. I took small huffs of air, as I looked around in a panic trying to lose him. That's when I saw a large rock cave, I quickly swam towards it and hid away inside.

I could hear his voice yelling for me to come back, along with an occasional, "halt Serenity!" But, I didn't comply. I hid in the darkness of the cave and waited for him to swim by, which he did in a matter of seconds; leaving me alone as I slowly exited it, making sure it was safe.

That's when my eyes landed on the barrier... The edge of this barrier was my freedom from my cage for these last 18 years... Slowly I popped the small Aura Crystal from its prison on my crown, now, holding it in my hand as I stared at the barrier. I moved my hand to where the crystal was facing the small waving barrier, my hand suddenly becoming fuzzy and weird feeling, that's when I felt this tug.

"SERENITY! NO!" Lowell called from ways away, I knew it was now or never here... I looked back at Lowell with slightly hurt eyes as I sent him a weak smile, and pushed my way past the barrier... The feeling of my freedom gave my flesh a slight burning sensation... But, that's how it feels to push your way through a magic barrier that is meant to keep things in and out... I guess...

The only thing that mattered was that...

I'm free.