The Mist

She tried to breath, but the air was getting tight as it sucked it in. Her lungs were empty and so a sharp stinging pain ravished through her eternally. Her first instinct was to scream, scream because she was scared, because she needed help but, it was impossible. She was paralysed, her legs were stiff and her face... Locked on this abnormal thing, growing bigger and stronger.

//////////

Chapter 1

Madi May was a basic girl, with basic needs and basic friends. She hoped that this first day at college would be simple and easy. That she would be picked up by the boy who she had spent the entire summer with, meet her two best friends, and so end the day becoming every new teachers pet. But things seemed to go wrong all the time in Madi's life. So none of that happened, instead she got...

"Morning." Madi said lazily to her 10 year old brother, Jake, who didn't respond for the 5839293 morning in a row.

"Morning Madi!" She replied to herself in a high pitched voice, 'imitating' jake.

"Wow, so mature!" He said sarcastically. But she just shrugged it off and went downstairs. It was currently 8:15 and her summer boyfriend had said he would pick her up in 15 minutes. So she didn't have much time.

"Mum, where's that nice cereal, and my converse, and my coat ya know, the dark blue one?" She asked all at once.

"I don't know!" Francesca, Madi's mum replied.

"Uh," She started but didn't end, instead she skipped breakfast all together and went into the living room. It was the biggest room in the house, the TV was in the corner - surrounded by brown, leather sofas but there was a cabinet with a stereo and a book shelf and a piano beyond that, more nearer the sliding door to the kitchen. And her dad was sitting on the sofa, eating her desired cereal, watching the morning news.

"Hey-" she said. But Madi got anxiety over the thought of speaking and being with her dad. He absolutely despised her, but for a reason.

"Morning!" Francesca came wondering in and came across the awkward aroma of Madi and her dad.

"Oh, come on! I'm sure Sophia would want you guys to be happy together! When will you ever compromise?" Francesca voiced. But Madi's dad just ignored her just as well.

And she, again, just shrugged it off. As her mum was right anyway. Sophia would want that. She wanted that. But he didn't. In fact, he had already possessed Jake into hating her and she knew soon, it would be her mum next.

"You need to stop excluding her, she is your daughter." Madi heard her mum preaching towards her dad back in the living room, she had walked out into the hallway to find her shoes and coat. As their was no time to compromise now.

The hallway had a mirror right next to the cupboard that stores shoes and coats, her reflection killed her. Yes, she was a basic girl- wearing what her summer boyfriend wanted her to wear, dungarees and a white crop top. But that wasn't the point, she had an identical twin. Her name was Sophia and every time she looks in the mirror that's who she sees - not herself. Because Sophia and her were exactly the same but for some reason, it seemed like, Sophia just shone brighter and for that reason was more beautiful. And everyone liked Sophia, she was daddy's little girl and Jakes favourite sister. She was beyond perfect. But she was all these things for now, she's gone. There was a house fire back in the old house in Italy. She and Sophia started it, but only Sophia died. Every since then, the Mays moved to England for a fresh start - but the terrible memories still live on and her dad still solely blames Madi. But even Madi blames Madi.

Ok, don't start crying, you're strong. She thought to herself. Concentrating on trying to find her shoes and coat. Taking her mind away from it all, but... The roar of the flames and the pitch of the scream... She broke down. It was all her fault.

No, ok, I've got the converse. She thought to herself again,

"Where's the damn coat!" She shouted out aloud. And to some surprise, it was like it just magically appeared out of no where, it was there right in front of her hanging on a coat hanger.

Ugh, yes.

She put on the shoes and coat, then grabbed her leather girls back pack that was easily see able and reachable in the shoes and coat cupboard... whilst excessively crying. Then looked in the mirror one last time. Her dark brown hair was just let down loose. Her small rounded face was only occupied by little makeup. She had tried to blemish some spots, but her blue contrasting eyes take up any attention from them luckily.

Ok, I'm out.

She walked out side, eyes closed. The cold, fresh air of the early morning hit her face and wakened her up better than any Starbucks could. She took some long breathes, realising how hot and stuffy it was inside. She felt her cheeks flushing pink and finally opened her eyes.

The Victorian road she lived on was out of sight. Mist covered the ground and sky. It was everywhere. And it was dense.

***

After about ten minutes of waiting in the land cloud, she realised why her summer boyfriend must not be there by now. He was lost! Surely? It was virtually impossible for Madi to find her own way around, she wasn't used to this fog of such density that it practically impossible to see a few meters ahead. But it looked like she was just gunna have to walk anyway, and she didn't think twice about getting a lift with her dad or mum, the mist was a good excuse she'd say. So she got out her phone, checked Facebook - saw only pictures of the popular girl, Gina McGiveren's party last night, checked twitter to find the same thing, checked Instagram and found the same thing and was off.

It was hard finding her way, she developed a very bad case of paranoia as, there would always be random sounds here and there but, she couldn't see what from. Then she suddenly heard, what sounded like "help." Then a "he's coming." And then she started running, screaming. And she was pretty sure she had just developed a very bad case of schizophrenia.

But as she ran, she tripped and fell over. And when she got back up, the mist was swirling. Like a tornado.

She tried to breath, but the air was getting tight as it sucked it in. Her lungs were empty and so a sharp stinging pain ravished through her eternally. Her first instinct was to scream, scream because she was scared, because she needed help but, it was impossible. She was paralysed, her legs were stiff and her face... Locked on this abnormal thing, growing bigger and stronger.

It got to the point where if she didn't run away, she would die. But this thing was traumatising, she could hear the pleads clear and loud now as they screamed,

"HELP!" "HE'S COMING!"

This was it, she thought. She was going to die.

But then, she saw a light? Her eyes strained, it was two lights... It was a car! It beeped furiously and skidded into place where it cut in between the paranormal tornado. Madi found the courage to jump in as adrenaline struck through her and the air loosened and she took her first breath in awhile. She'd never been so grateful to breath other than the house fire!

"MADI, ARE YOU OK?!" Fabien shouted, obviously scared and shocked himself as he pushed on the gears and reared away from this nightmare