Chapter 17

Chapter 17

Future

Hayden's P.O.V*

I left the courthouse with Kristie. I can't believe Drake is being so and idiot. Doesn't he care about Brandon, about being in his life? I'd think his son is more important to him than his friend.

"Why would he do that?" Kristie asked me once we were outside.

"That's what I want to know. He's being so stupid right now."
"Hayden!" A familiar voice called. I turned to see Veronica and her mother coming towards me.

"Hi." I greeted once they were in front of me.

"I can't believe Drake did that. But my mom is going to bail him out." Veronica said.

"Why Ms. Burton?" I asked her.

"They said he was clean of drugs so he didn't do anything wrong. My son is being loyal to his "friends" and doesn't want to be a snitch. He doesn't deserve to be in jail. Besides, what would my grandson do without a father?"

Ms. Burton bailed Drake out and he came outside with a frown on his face. He saw me and came over.

"Hi." I greeted.

"Hey. Can I hold him?" He put out his arms.

"No."

"Why not?" He looked angry.

"Because when you were given a choice to go to jail or tell who the drugs really belonged to, you chose jail. Did you even consider what this would do to Brandon? Obviously he doesn't mean much to you."
"He means everything to me, you know that. Darren is my friend. I can just give him up. Besides, my old boss gave me a warning. If I told anyone about where the drugs were coming from, they'd kill me. What would that do to Brandon, huh?"

I sighed and handed Brandon over to Drake. Him dying is worse than him being in jail for a year and a half.

"Let's get you home." Ms. Burton said, coming up along side us.

"Do you still want me to take Brandon?" He asked me.

"Yeah. Why not?"

Ashton's P.O.V*

I got ready to go over to Hayden's. Hopefully her mom won't be there. She's creepy. I showered and dressed in jeans and a long sleeved shirt. I then went downstairs and found my dad sitting on the couch reading a health magazine.

"Hey dad. I'm leaving now, okay?"
"Where are you going?"
"I'm heading over to Hayden's to hang out."
"Okay. Tell her I said hi."
I left out the door and drove to Hayden's. Hopefully she's home. I'm a little early and she went to Drake's hearing. I wonder if it's over yet. If it is, I wonder what happened. Hopefully he didn't get sent to jail. Brandon wouldn't have a father in his life.

I pulled into Hayden's driveway and saw her car. At least she's home. I got out and went to ring the doorbell. A moment passed and the door swung open, revealing Hayden in sweats and a t-shirt.

"Don't you look comfy." I said, coming in.

"I just got back from the hearing and it made me a little frustrated. I felt I needed comfy when I got home."

"Understandable. So I guess we're not going anywhere."

"If you don't mind."
"No, it's fine. Whatever you want to do is perfectly okay with me."
I was actually hoping we wouldn't go anywhere. It's beginning to get cold out and I'm not a fan of the cold. I prefer the warmer seasons. And after the hearing, I guess Hayden just wanted to sit down on a comfortable couch and settle her nerves. I have no problem with that.