Chapter 20

Chapter 20

Confusion

Hayden's P.O.V*

I got to Darren's house and parked in the driveway. I got Brandon out of the back and walked up to the front door. I rang the doorbell and waited. A moment passed and the door opened, revealing Darren. He gave me a smile and let me in.

"I didn't think you'd actually show up." Darren said.

"Why not?"

"Because you don't like me, or trust me."
"Well I need someone to talk to and you're all that's left."
We sat down on the couch and I sat Brandon on my lap. Hopefully Darren would be a complete idiot and give me stupid advice when I ask for some help.

"So what's on your mind?" He asked me.

"Ashton has been acting distant lately. Today he told me that we should take a break from each other. But he's been hanging out with Marcie at our school. For some reason he's on her side and not mine. I love him and I'm not sure if I should stay with him or not. What do you think?"
"Well I never liked him from the beginning so I think all of this is a good thing. But besides all of that, I think you should move on. Marcie is a b***h and if he passes you up for her, you need someone far better."

"But I don't want to be alone again. He helped me out with Brandon. He's the loved me since the start. He even said it first! I don't know what I'll do without him."
"You have your friends to help you out with Brandon. You don't need someone like him. No one can do better than you. He's an idiot for letting you go."

I smiled. Talking to him actually helped. For once something idiotic didn't come from his mouth.

"Um, so are you the one that got Drake started back on drugs?" I asked him.

"He's started back up? Since when?"

"I stopped by before I came here and he was high as a kite. I'm a little tempted to call the cops on him. He's still on probation."
"I wonder what happened. I didn't expect this at all. He seemed so set on not starting up again."

Ashton's P.O.V*

I opened the front door and let Marcie walk in first. I'm still surprised she agreed to come over.

"You're house is huge!" She exclaimed.

"It's not that big."

"Yeah, right."
"Ashton, is that you and Hayden?" I heard my dad say.

He slowly came from upstairs. He paused for a moment when he saw Marcie and not Hayden.

"Oh. Hi." He said.

"Dad, this is my friend Marcie."
"It's nice to meet you." He said. "Are you friends with Hayden?"

"Not exactly. She doesn't exactly like me."

There was an awkward silence for a moment before my dad cleared his throat and grabbed his car keys off the bookshelf.

"I'm going in to work. I'll try to make it back for dinner."

"Bye."
My dad left and Marcie and I went to sit on the couch. Something tells me my dad doesn't like Marcie very much. But I don't understand why.

"Your dad seems... busy." She says.

"Tell me about it. I hardly see him."

The doorbell rang and I got up to answer it. Joey was here with a serious look on his face.

"Hey Joey. What's up?"

"I need to talk to you." He looked over at Marcie who sat on the couch. "You invited her here? A little soon for the first date isn't it?"
"First date? What are you talking about."