Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Hurt

The day was long. I felt it would never end. I ran into Ashton a few times but he didn't say anything to me. He would give me a small smile and I wouldn't respond in any way.

I picked up Brandon from daycare and decided to visit Darren. I haven't talked to him in a while I feel like hanging out with him. I think we're going to be good friends. If Drake isn't going to appreciate him, then I will.

I parked in Darren's driveway since I saw his car there. I got Brandon out the back and went to ring the doorbell. A moment passed and the door swung open.

"Oh. Hey Hayden." He seemed especially shocked to see me. "What are you doing here?"
"I thought I'd stop by and pay a visit. Is that okay?"

"Uh, yeah. Come on in."
I went inside and set Brandon on the floor. He walked off and I hoped he wouldn't get into something he's not supposed to.

"So how was school?" He asked me.

"It went by too slow. But I did blackmail Marcie today. I think I'm finally free of her."

"What did you blackmail her with?"

"There's something she doesn't want anyone to know and I threatened to expose it to everyone."

"Nice. I didn't think you'd ever do something like that."
"Well she happened to catch me at a moment when I was really pissed off."

"Was it Ashton?"
"Yeah. Can you believe he actually wants us to get back together? I think that's insane. After the way he acted we're never getting together. He screwed up and now he has to pay for it."
He stared at the ground, looking like he wasn't really listening to me. I guess I'm not wanted here.

"Do you want me to go?" I asked him.

His head jerked up and he stared at me. "I'm just expecting my boss to be here any minute and he's not exactly the type of guy you want to meet. Especially with Brandon here."
"I'll leave then. You could've just said so. I wouldn't have been upset."
I went into the living room to get Brandon and saw him with a cigarette box in his hand. Luckily it was empty. I took the box from him and sat it on Darren's coffee table. I then picked up Brandon and headed for the door.

"I'll talk to you later." I said.

I reached for the doorknob and jumped when it turned and opened before I could touch it. A big man with short curly dark hair and sea green eyes walked in and stared at me. I had a feeling that he was dangerous and to be cautious.

"Darren, who is this?" He asked.

"This is a friend of mine. She was just leaving." I was surprised at how level his voice was. He didn't sound afraid at all.

"What's your name?" The man asked me.

"Hayden Barnes. This is my son Brandon Burton."

"Burton?"

I stared at him. Does the name sound familiar? Maybe he knows Drake in some way.

"Are you Drake's girl?" He asked me.

"No." I quickly responded. "I'm nobody's girl. Drake is just the father of my baby."
"Ah, I see. I'm Duke, Drake's old boss."
I then remembered. Duke is the one that Drake sold drugs for. I never knew what he looked like but I knew his name.

"I'll be leaving now." I muttered. I went for the door knob but Duke moved to stand in my way.

"No, please stay for a while."