Chapter 24

Chapter 24

Consequences

Hayden's P.O.V*

I got home and rushed into the house. Blood was running down my cheek the entire ride and some of it dripped on to my shirt. I took Brandon upstairs and put him down for a nap before I went into the bathroom to clean my face.

I examined my cheek in the mirror and saw that the cut wasn't that bad. It just bled a lot. I got a paper towel and placed it to my cheek to stop the bleeding. The paper towel almost instantly became soaked with my blood.

I sighed and went to get a towel from the linen closet. I waded it up and placed it on my cheek. I then pulled out my cell phone and called Kristie.

"Hey Hayden. What's up?" She answered.

"Would you mind coming over? I need your help on something and I might need you to watch Brandon."
"Sure. I'll be there in a few."
After a while Kristie was here and she was pounding me with questions about the cut on my cheek. I'd actually gotten it to stop.

"So Drake's old boss did that to you?" Kristie asked me.

"Yeah. He used me to get to Drake."
"It worked?"

"Yeah. Drake agreed to work for him again. I'm surprised he didn't just let you get cut up. It's not like he cares."

Kristie helped bandage my cheek and then we sat and ate popcorn as we watched a random movie.

"So what are you going to do about Drake selling drugs? Are you going to turn him in or what?"
"No. I'm not going to do anything. I'm going to let him live his life the way he wants while I live mine the way I want. But he can't see Brandon anymore. I don't want Brandon exposed to that kind of stuff."

There was a knock at the door and I went to answer it. I was surprised to see Drake. I figured he'd be starting out on the streets or getting into Fiona's pants.

"What are you doing here?" I asked him.

" I just wanted to make sure you're okay."
"I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me."
"Come on Hayden." He looked into my eyes. "Are you really okay?"

"I'm fine." I looked away. "I just wish you weren't so stupid."
I was about to close the door on him but his arm shot out and stopped the door. He came in and shut the door behind him.

"What are you talking about?" He asked me.

"I'm talking about the agreement you made with Duke. You have a son to care for remember? You can't be out on those streets again. Not if you love Brandon."

"I have to do it or he'll hurt you."

"If that's the way you want to be, then I forbid you to see Brandon again."

There was a silence as Drake looked at me in shock and in anger. I figured he'd get upset about this.

"I'll be upstairs." Kristie said, getting up and walking upstairs.

"Are you insane? You can't keep Brandon away from me, he's my son!"

"I don't care. What kind of example are you showing going around selling drugs? I don't want him to grow up to be like you."
"Ah, so that's what you're really afraid of. The truth comes out. You were never concerned for my safety or Brandon's safety. You just don't want him to grow up to be like me. You should want him to turn out like me. At least I care and I'm a hell of a good father."
"Shut up! You don't care. All you care about is yourself. You think you're the center of the universe, but you're most definitely are not. And a good father? I beg to differ. You don't watch him well enough. You forget to feed him sometimes and you don't care who he's around."