Chapter 31

Chapter 31

Chosen

Hayden's P.O.V*

I woke to my alarm. I reached over and turned it off before getting up. I looked down at Drake who was still asleep. I smiled seeing his sleeping face. He always looks so peaceful when he sleeps.

I showered and dressed for school. I went downstairs and ate a quick breakfast before heading out the door.

I got to school a little earlier than usual. I went inside and went to my locker. I put my books away and went to Kristie's locker to see if she's here yet. I found her sitting down in front of her locker, writing something in a notebook.

"Hey." I greeted. She looked up at me and jumped up, taking me into a tight hug.

"Hey! I was beginning to think you dropped of the side of the Earth. You haven't called all weekend."

"Yeah I know. I've been going through some things."
"Things you couldn't talk to me about?"

"It something to do with Ashton, partially. I don't want you blabbing anything."
"I won't I swear. You're my best friend. I would never."

She gave me a pleading look and I rolled my eyes. Kristie can't keep a secret to save her life.

"Hey babe!" Kristie exclaimed, her mood turning happy. Joey walked pass me and hugged Kristie. He gave her a light kiss before looking at me and smiling.

"Ashton is looking for you. He's waiting by your locker." Joey told me.

"Okay. I'll see you two later."

I went to my locker and found Ashton leaning against it. He looked up at me and smiled when I approached.

"Hey beautiful." He greeted me.

"Hi. Joey said you were looking for me."
"Uh, yeah. I wanted to do something." A nervous expression crossed his face. "I know it's kind of early and we've only talked about it so little but I don't think I can wait any longer."

I took a step back in surprise when Ashton took my hand and got on one knee. Is he going to do what I think he is? My heart stopped when he pulled out a small black box and opened it, revealing a gorgeous diamond ring.

"Hayden Barnes, I love you with all my heart and soul and I can't imagine my life without you. Will you do me the honor of becoming my bride?"

A tear escaped my eye and rand down my cheek. Ashton stood up quickly and wiped it away, a concerned look on his face.

"Please don't cry." He said. "I'm sorry. I knew I should've waited until graduation. But I understand if you're not ready to be married. I'm not either. We can just be engaged until we feel ready to get married. Maybe after college."

"It's not that I'm not ready." I said.

"Then what?"

"I can't."

"You can't what, marry me?"

"Just... come to my house after school, okay? I'll explain everything then."

"Okay."
I walked away to my classroom. Now is the time to make a decision. Ashton actually proposed and things have gone too far. I need to get out now while I still can. I'm making my decision today after school. It's time.

Lunch

I didn't wait for my friends this time when the bell rang. They could find me in the cafeteria. I got my lunch and found an empty table. Not long after, my friends sat down with me.

"Why didn't you wait?" Kristie asked me. "Are you okay?"

"I'm fine." I forced a smile. I glanced at Ashton and saw him giving me a concerned look. I ignored it and focused on my lunch.

Kristie moved closer to me and leaned in close to my ear to whisper something.

"Is it something to do with you and Ashton?"

"I'll call you tonight and talk, okay?"

I'll call Kristie tonight to tell her the outcome of my decision. I don't want to tell her anything now and risk her telling Ashton.

After School

After school I drove home a little anxious about what's going to happen when I get there. Someone's heart is going to get broken and it might break mine as well.

I got home and went inside to find Drake tossing Brandon in the air. Brandon was laughing.

"Hi." I greeted, smiling at the sight I walked in to witness.

"Hey." Drake greeted back. "How was school today?"
"I'd rather not talk about it. At least not right now. Ashton will be here any minute."
"Ashton? Why?"

"Because I'm going to make my decision."

"You are? Is it me?"

"I'm not saying anything until Ashton gets here."

I took Brandon from Drake and took him upstairs to put him down for a nap. I don't want him to be downstairs if and argument breaks out.

The doorbell rang and I felt a nervous feeling in the pit of my stomach. Ashton is here and now's the time to spill some good and bad news.

I went downstairs to see Ashton and Drake standing in the living room. They both looked at me and smiled.

"Hi Ashton." I greeted.

"Hi. So are you going to explain what's been going on with you today?" He glanced at Drake.

"Actually, I wanted you both here for when I make this crucial decision." I took a deep breath. "Ashton, you're the sweetest guy I have ever met. You're so kind and lovable. You loved me although I had a baby by someone else. There's not many guys like that and I'm thankful that I met you." I looked at Drake. "Drake, you're stubborn and frustrating, but that's what I like about you. And I know you've made mistakes but I also know that you learned from them and that has made you a stronger person. I love both of you with all of my heart and you have to believe me on that. But I need to choose one of you. So I guess I choose..."

I looked between the both of them. Ashton looked confused and shocked. Drake looked at me expectantly.

"I choose you, Drake."

"Yes!" Drake yelled. "There was no doubt. I love you baby." He came and kissed me on the cheek. "I'll leave you two to talk." He ran up the stairs leaving Ashton and me alone.

I slowly approached Ashton, not knowing how he'd react. His face was expressionless.

"Ashton, I'm sorry. But I think he's the best thing for Brandon and me. I love him. I never stopped loving him. But I love you too and I hope we can be friends."

"But what happened? What did I do wrong? I'm in love with you and I thought we'd get married someday."

"Ashton, a guy a sweet as you will find somebody else. You'll be much more in love with them than me. I promise you." I reached up and placed a kiss on his forehead.

"I guess I won't be needing this anymore." He held up the engagement ring he got for me. He gave a small smile.

"Give it to someone else, okay?" He nodded. "See you in school tomorrow."
Ashton left and I went upstairs. I walked into my room and found Drake on the phone.

"I'm sorry Fiona." He apologized. He must've just broke up with Fiona. "It was never going to work out between us. We're just too different. Goodbye."
He hung up and looked up at me, a smile spreading across his face. I swear a looked like a little kid on Christmas morning.

"I love you." I told him.

"I love you too." He got up and grabbed me into a hug. "I know from now on we'll be perfectly fine. No more lies, no more drugs, and definitely no jail. It'll be like before when everything was perfect."

"Promise?"

"I promise."

*Ashton's P.O.V*

I drove home, upset that Hayden isn't mine anymore. I lost to Drake and somehow I knew it was coming. They always had a connection that I couldn't understand.

My cell rang and I pulled out my phone to see it was Fiona calling. We had exchanged numbers on the double date.

"I'm guessing you heard?" I answered.

"You're not upset?" Her voice broke, telling me she was crying.

"Yes I'm upset, but I'm not as surprised as you. Are you going to be okay?"

"No. I'd be better if I could die in a hole."
"Give me your address. I'm coming over."

She gave me her address and I drove to her house. It's the least I could do when we were both just dumped.

I walked up to her front door and rang the doorbell. A moment passed and Fiona answered the door. Her eyes were a little red and her face was tear streaked.

"It'll be okay." I said, taking her into a hug. "Drake isn't good enough for you anyway. You disserve someone better."

She pulled away a little and looked up at me curiously.. She sniffled and rubbed her eyes.

"Why are you being so nice to me? You hardly know me."

"So, you're still a hurt person. I'm not going to be inconsiderate." She smiled. "Oh, I got a smile." I smiled back. "See, everything will be fine."

I stayed with Fiona for a while and talked. I found out that she's 20 and in her second year of college. She has a brother and two sisters who are all older, and 3 nieces and 2 nephews. She hates spicy foods and sushi. Her favorite type of music genres are pop, hip-hop, and R&B.

"Sorry I'm just spilling everything out." She apologized.

"No it's fine. I ask you to tell me about yourself and that's what you did."

She smiled. "You're way too nice. I've never met a guy like you."
"And I've never met a girl like you. To be honest, you're everything that I look for in a girl."

I began to feel awkward. I can't believe I just admitted that. Now she probably thinks I'm coming on to her. But I guess I kind of am. Hayden was amazing and all, but she didn't meet my expectations.

I took a chance and leaned in to kiss her. I hesitated halfway, doubting myself. I was surprised when she closed the rest of the space between us and kissed me. There was a slight spark and I pulled away and looked at her.

"I uh..." I started, but didn't know how to finish.

"I'm sorry." She apologizing, her cheeks turning red.

"No, it's fine. I actually liked it." I smiled and she smiled back.

I never thought we'd get together. But I guess these things happen. But is it okay after we both just got out of a relationship?

"Should we be..." I started, but she cut me off.

"What we're doing is fine. WE disserve to be happy don't we? And we're both single now. I'm sure Drake and Hayden won't mind. They shouldn't since they're together. It's no different than this."

"So, meet me for dinner?"

"Definitely."

*8 Months Later

*

Hayden's P.O.V*

I sat in the waiting room with Drake and Brandon. I was surprised my mom showed up too.

"I'm sure it's boy." Drake said.

"Girl." I said.

I wish Cindy would've told us the gender of the baby. Instead she's keeping it all to herself. She wanted us to be surprised when the baby arrives.

"How do you think they're doing?" I asked.

"Well I don't hear any screaming." My mom answered.

Soon Carson came out the room in his blue scrubs. He had a huge smile on his face.

"Well?" I asked him.

"Hayden, why don't you come meet your new baby brother."

I couldn't help grinning. I have a baby brother. I've always wanted a sibling. But I knew my mom wasn't having anymore after me.

We followed Carson into the room and I saw Cindy holding him in her arms. I walked over and looked at him. His eyes were closed and mouth was in a pout. He reminded me of when I had Brandon.

"Everyone, this is Matthew Jeremiah Willis." Cindy said.

"Hi." I said to Matthew. "I'm you're big sister."

Cindy handed Matthew over to me and he was warm in my arms. His fists were in tight little balls. He had a striped blue hat on his head but I could see the thin brown hair sticking out from underneath it. He's so cute.

We passed Matthew around for a minute until the nurse figured we should let him and Cindy rest.

We left and Drake and I waited in the waiting room for my mom. She was talking to Carson.

"I can't believe I finally have a baby brother." I said. "I had to wait for a long time."

"But it was worth it, right?"

"Of course." I took Drake's hand in mine.

So much has happened in my life in such a short amount of time. I met Ashton, who is now engaged to Fiona. I fell in love with Drake again, not that I stopped. Darren and I surprisingly became friends, but then I lost him. I put a big time criminal in jail and saved Drake's life.

There was a lot of heartache, but I had to go through it all to get to where I am today. Drake and I are happier than ever and we're raising our now two-year-old son together. We're a real family now and this was always my dream. Things may be a little out of order but I still made it here. And after everything that's happened, I wouldn't change a thing.

"Drake," I started. He looked at me. "You're my forever."

"And you're my world." He lift up our intertwined hands and kissed the back of mine. Right now, and for eternity, I'm the happiest girl alive.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

There's the final chapter! What did you think? I don't know if I'm so sure if I'm satisfied with the ending. Sorry for making it seem like Ashton and Fiona were moving too fast. I was beginning to get writers block on the last two chapters so I sort of rushed through them.

Anyway, thank you all for taking the time to read my story. I hope you enjoyed it. This chapter is dedicated to everyone who's read (unless they're a hater) because you all are amazing and you kept me going with your comments.

Thanks!! ;-)

***UPDATE***
The sequel is now up. It's called "My Growing Family"