Part One

The Library

When you have as much homework as I do in high school, you take advantage of every single study hall you get. In my case, I had one every day. Which would be quite helpful if my two best friends Ashlyn Queen and Eden O'Rile didn't distract me. And you've guessed it. Today they've made it their mission to distract me.

"Annie, who are you going to the snowball with?" Ash asked impatiently.

"I don't know.." I've never really had an interest in guys. I'm happy to be friends with them, but dating never really worked out for me. Quietly, I continued writing my Italian essay due tomorrow.

"Ask Dom. He's been giving you some looks." Eve suggested and nodded her head towards the boys' table in the library.

I caught several of them eyeing us as I looked up from writing. "Ew. No thanks." 

Ash snorted and brushed her brown hair behind her shoulder. "It should obviously be Evan. Your looks would complement his." My dirty blonde hair and brown eyes with his black hair and green eyes? Sure. I mean we are both athletic.

"Yeah but have you seen Dom? He's so sweet. His personality compliments Ann's tough, let me put 'em in the ground ways." Eve insisted.

I rolled my eyes. "Thanks."

"Anytime."

I turned my attention to the library's television while those two continued to argue about who I would look good with. The reporter's voice blocked them out. "The threats against the UN are still arriving. With the looming presence of these otherworldly invaders how will the newly formed Peace Corps protect the world?" The screen faded.

Ever since the United Nations received a "threat of extinction" to humanity from the Hailons, a race of aliens trying to cleanse the universe of "human scum", the Peace Corps has been trying to protect us.

They weren't doing very well.

Russia and Germany have already sided with them. Or, rather were forced to provide land, soldiers, and other various supplies and services.

I knew that someday we'd fall to the mercy of Hailons. It was inevitable. They were massive brutes. Humanoid bodies, grayish skin, black eyes and the ability to morph. "Morphing" can be summed up in two words. Shapeshifters. Hailons could be whatever they wanted. Making them hard to detect in crowds of people.

Ash, Eve, and I came up with code words in case, one day the US was attacked.

We hoped we'd never have to use them.

But in a split second everything changed. It rocked our world- quite literally - as an explosion rang out in the school.

I quickly stood grabbing my things and shouting for Ash and Eve to do the same. "Ash! Eve! Get your things! Let's move it!"

Other kids ran past us, clawing to get out of the West Embers highschool. Another explosion, leaving me with ringing in my ears, sent books and lights crashing down.

In a heart-stopping moment, one of the broken light fixtures came right at Ash. I dropped my books and shoved her as hard as I could.

It's the last thing I remember right after it all went dark.