Part Five

"Look, I'm telling you I can walk." Eve and Ash had me between them and my arms around their shoulders. "The physical therapy is enough babying for one day."

"Show us." Ash said.

Huffing I dragged my first foot forward, firmly planting it down. The tiles cold against my bare skin.

"Other one too." Eve urged. "If you can do this, we will let you get crutches."

I groaned. "Ben please. Let me have the crutches." He was leaning on the wall, holding my tickets to freedom under his arm.

"Make it to here without help from them and I'll give em to you." Ben leaned them against the wall and took two steps forward, outstretching his arms.

These guys are going to be the death of me.

Ash and Eve let go of my body and I fell. "No." I waved them off. "I've got this."

I flipped on my back and sat up. I took a breath and slowly got on my knees. Using my arms I pushed until I was standing.

It was shaky but I could work with that.

The leg that still had the brace helped somewhat, but it limited me when I actually wanted to walk.

"Come on. You want your crutches don't you? Come're!" Ben pushed me forward.

It was only ten steps away. I had this. Left, right, left, right. Stopping I looked back at Ash and Eve.

"You got this." Ash nodded.

I turned to face Ben. He still had his arms out. Waiting for me to get closer.

Right, left, right. "Come on Ann!" Eve laughed from her spot at the bed. "You're doing it."

Left, right, left, Ben.

He caught me as I slipped into his chest. "Okay. Okay I did it." I grabbed a fistful of his scrubs. "Now give me my crutches."

He laughed and picked me up bridal style. "Good job." Ben brought me over to the bed and set me down softly.

"Here you are." He brought over the crutches next. "You can use them whenever you want."

"Thank you." I laid down and relaxed. The bandages wrapping around my chest began to hurt.

He fixed my IV. "Where does it hurt?"

How could he tell I was hurting? "Chest."

"Too tight?" He asked.

I nodded.

"I can see it on your face."

Ben snapped the morphine drip into my IV. "I'll fix those later. Let the morphine kick in. Tell me how you feel then."

He sighed and sat in the chair. "You three are real troopers."

Eve snorted. "Trust me I'm exhausted. Between the twins and Ann and the going back and forth I might just drop dead." She rubbed her temples.

"I can keep an eye on her for a while if you want to go back to the house and relax." Ash looked up at her.

"Yeah. Please go home and sleep. You look exhausted." I agreed. "I've only got what? A day in here left?" I looked to Ben to confirm it.

"About a day yes." He said

"So you two go home. Get ready for me and get some sleep." I plead.

"Ann makes a good point." Ash spoke to Eve.

Eve thought it over. "Ok fine. We'll go home and come back tomorrow morning to collect you."

I smiled. "Good."

Eve just rolled her eyes and gave me a hug. "Be good for Ben. Don't hurt yourself more than you did."

"I won't"

Ash flashed a smile back. "What she said." I have her a hug too. "See you later Annie!" She called out the door as they disappeared.

"Later guys." I turned to Ben. "I want ice cream.."