Part Eleven

General Daars stood above my bruised body. "Coward." He spit, warm and slick landing right next to my head. "Don't you fight? Isn't that what you're here for? I thought you came to learn." He shook his head. "You're nothing but weak. Just like  everyone I've taken on before."

I took a shaky breath, my ribs and head throbbing with every inhale. "I might be weak this time, but I swear-" my body was wracked with coughs. I felt something warm and watery come out of my mouth and run down my cheek. "I swear I'll kill you."

He bent down and grabbed my arms yanking me up. I yelped at the pain but put up no fight. The general smirked at the sight of my little resistance. "Pathetic." Daars threw me across the room, I rolled till I hit the wall.

"Lucas. Lucas I tap." I tried to speak but with no avail. The General got closer and closer still. "No, I tap!" I said as loud as I could. It wasn't much but by some luck Lucas heard my plea.

Slowly the room dissolved into nothing but a black bliss. I welcomed it. My body was exhausted, my head pounding and foggy. I thought to myself, why am I here? All I've done is gotten beat down and over again. It's not worth it.

But Dad is. I opened my eyes to sit up. The virtual reality room was a mess. Blood splattered the floor, it looked like it came from me. Wiping my mouth from the warm watery liquid it came back bright red and plentiful. I nearly wretched at the sight of my combat suit. Full of stab wound paint marks and fake bullet holes showed I really would have died.

The door to the VR room opened and a very panicky Lucas came to my side. "Annie? Can you hear me? How do you feel?"

"Like I just got thrown across the room." I glared at him.

"I know I'm sorry I shouldn't have let it go that far." He tried to apologize. I wasn't having it.

"Just go. I don't even want to look at you right now." I fingered a stab wound in the breast plate of armor.

"No let me help-"

"No."

Why did I do this? I don't belong here. I'm just some stupid girl who has some impossible hope that her dad isn't dead. That her joining the Peace Corps was going to make a difference. "I'm not doing this anymore. I don't belong here! I can't even kill the simulator, and its been months!"

Lucas shook his head. "You can't give up! I know it's been a really rough year, but please you can't give up! The Core needs you!"

Why would I want to? It's been nothing but getting beat on and broken down and I can't do this. There's something that makes a Peacekeeper, no matter the branch and I don't have it. "I quit."

I'll find him some other way.