Part 13

There's only so much hope one can hold on to. Months of training course after training course, spending the nights researching the most popular Halion dumping spots in the country, and the days going to physical therapy appointments, the gym, or talking to Lucas about what was necessary to fit in at the Fourth Sector chipped away at my dissatisfaction.

I didn't know where my Dad was, and I was losing hope.

Last week Ash and Eve helped me move to the base near New York City. Lucky for us, what was left of my hometown was only an hour and a half drive away.

So here I sat. At my apartments table, Apollo curled at my feet, hoping at least one of my friends would pick up my video call.

I didn't think they'd pick up, but at the last ring, Ash's face filled my computer screen. "Annie! Hold on, let me go get the house for you." She connected me to what was likely the family TV, and called everyone into the living room. Faintly I heard her call for the O'Rile family.

Both sets of parents came walking around the corner, sitting down on the couch. Eve came back with Eliza, where they sat on the floor.

"Okay! So tell us what's up!" Ash rounded the corner with a glass of water in her hand.

"I just wanted to talk to you guys and tell you how things are up here!" Flashing my best smile, I felt warm seeing everyone looking so lively.

"We're fantastic dear! Dave and I are so sorry we missed you. We had a hard time getting back to West Ember after all the business trips we had to take care of." Mrs. Queen apologized.

"It's alright! I'm really glad you guys are safe and home now." I tucked my knees to my chest in the chair. "How are the twins?"

"Bro I don't think they've ever been louder," Eve complained. "I think they're trying to speak." While she loved them with all her heart, babies are babies. And teenagers are bound to have issues with screaming at one o'clock in the morning.

I couldn't help but laugh. "When they do finally start talking you need to call me ASAP. Okay?" I made the big group promise me. "You hear that Eliza? Don't say anything until I get to visit you."

Eliza looked at me with big eyes, and slapped the toy she was playing with. After letting out an ear piercing screech, Eve gave me an all knowing look. I could see the jealousy in her eyes at my small apartment.

"You know you're always welcome to visit for a while. I still have to go from meeting to meeting but the pups can keep you company."

Pure relief flooded her face.

The decision to move was one that I had been balancing on for a long time. But with my house vacant, and practically destroyed, I really didn't want to live there. Not yet. I didn't have a full home like the Queens or the O'Riles.

But having moved on site to train helped ease spite.

"What's been new with you Annie?" Eve asked quietly. "How's that boy? Lucas?"

I rolled my eyes. "Yeah. Lucas. Hes.." My sentence trailed away. "Hes alright." I settled on. "We don't really talk outside of training. Actually, we never talk outside of work."