Nico Hülkenberg {#36}

{"Lie to me then."}

Frowning, Y/N looked at the clock for what felt like the hundredth time that day; it was 1:13 am and Nico still wasn't home, although he had promised to return from his 'night out with a few friends' before midnight.

His girlfriend couldn't help, but sigh as she thought about the last two weeks, in which every night had consisted of the same broken promise.

She didn't plan on waiting until he was home every night, but somehow, she couldn't sleep without him next to here and without even knowing if he was fine at the moment.

A small blanket was wrapped around her as her eyes kept on switching between the door and the clock, but no matter how many minutes or hours passed, there was no sign of him.

Of course, Y/N had texted him several times, asking where he was or if he was alright, but there was no reply, not even once.

It was getting harder and harder to keep her eyes open with each minute and soon, she drifted of into a restless sleep.

"Y/N," She suddenly heard someone whisper in her ear, a hand softly stroking her cheek.

With wide eyes, she raised up, taking a quick look at the clock before glancing at the man in front of her.

"Nico," She breathed out, running a hand through her hair in a attempt to recover from the shock, "What are you doing here?"

"I thought I'd better wake you up, so you can sleep in our comfortable bed instead of on the couch," He explained, shrugging his shoulders before placing a kiss on her cheek.

Y/N slightly backed away from him, making him raise his eyebrows as she crossed her arms in front of her chest.

"That's not what I meant," She stated, gesturing towards the clock, while continuing to glare at him, "What are you doing here at this time?"

"I guess I just lost track of time," He answered, trying to act casual, but he knew that she was probably wondering why he had been going out this long for the past two weeks.

His girlfriend rolled her eyes at this statement, forcing herself to stay calm, when all she wanted to do in reality was saying some things  she'd definitely regret in the morning.

Sighing, she stood up from the couch to be able to look directly into Nico's eyes.

"Tell me the truth. What have you been doing this past two weeks?" She questioned, nervousness taking over her as he didn't reply and started looking at the ground instead.

Hundred of thoughts were flowing through his mind; some told him to tell her the truth, some told him to lie and some told him to stay silent.

Not finding the right words to stay, he decided to do the latter, fiddling with his fingers because he could feel tension between them raising.

"It's a simple question," Y/N stated, her voice breaking at the end because she could only think of the worst possibilities.

After some more minutes of silence, tears started to form in her eyes before silently rolling down her cheeks.

It broke the German's heart as he looked up at her and saw the sad expression on her face, the fear in her eyes and the tears that she tried to wipe away, but that was to no avail.

"Please," She whispered, making her boyfriend put his head in his hands as he felt the guilt wash over him.

'It's my fault she feels like this,' He quietly told himself, running a hand through his blonde hair, while thinking of a way to fix this situation.

"I can't tell you the truth," He finally replied, taking a few steps towards her to take her hand, "I'm sorry..."

"Lie to me then." He was cut off by his girlfriend, who pulled her hand out of his grip to back away from him, but he immediately stopped her by wrapping his arms around her.

"Y/N, listen to me now," He started, desperately starring down at her, "I don't want to lie to you anymore, so even if it ruins all of my plans, I will be honest now; this past two weeks, I have met up with a lot of different people who all helped me to prepare my...proposal. I know you've always dreamed of a romantic proposal and I didn't want to disappoint you, so I spent hours trying to set up the perfect plan and over this I may have forgotten what the most important thing is: to make you happy. And I certainly can't do that by continuing to lie."

Nico took a deep breath after his short speech, while Y/N's eyes went wider with each second that passed by.

"So I ruined everything," She stated after a moment of silence, but the Formula 1 driver shook his head.

"No, you didn't, Y/N, it was my fault," He stated, a smile finding it's way back onto his lips, "but not everything is ruined."

She raised her eyebrows at this statement, but soon realized what he wanted to say as he got down onto one knee and pulled a small box out of his pocket.

"Y/F/N, I love you with all my heart and after all those amazing years we have spent together, I can't even imagine a day without you anymore. I truly want to share the rest of my life with you, so will you please do me the honor and marry me?" Nico asked, slowly opening the box to reveal a beautiful diamond ring.

Tears were forming in Y/N's eyes again as she nodded repeatedly, but this time it were tears of happiness.

"Yes, I will," She replied, her hands shaking as he carefully slipped the ring onto her finger.

"I love you so much," He said, his arms finding their way around her waist again as he smiled down at her.

"I love you, too, Nico," She stated, her smile mirroring his as she leaned forward to place a soft kiss on his lips.

"Forever."

This one was requested by -kroos 💛
I really hope you like it😊