4

"It's broken. We need to get you into a cast," the doctor said.

"How much is that going to cost?" I sigh.

"You don't have to worry about that," Kaleb insisted. "I can pay for it."

"I don't want to be a burden."

He put his hand on my back and moved closer to me. "You are anything but a burden."

I smile.

So, after I get the cast on, and the doctor escorts me out with all this information, Kaleb and I walk back to the car. Well, he walks, I hobble.

"So, um, I was wondering if you would like to come to my house for dinner?" Kaleb asks, as he helps me get into the car.

I look at him for a solid six seconds. "I, um, I would love to, but you've already done enough for me today. You don't have to do anymore."

"It would be my pleasure to do more for you. I would love for you stay at my house until you get back on your feet, but I can't let you do that because my mom won't let me." He shuts my door then goes to his side and gets in the driver seat. "Jessica, if there is anything that you need, I want to provide it for you." He starts up the engine, then we drive to his house.

"Hey, Mom, is it alright if Jessica stays for dinner?" He holds the front door for me as I hobble into the house.

"Yes, of course! We're having spaghetti tonight, I hope that's okay," she looks at me while stirring the pot of meat sauce.

"That's perfect. Thank you." That was my mom's favorite dinner. I look around. The house was small, but cute. Flowery wallpaper, decorative plates, and any other thing you would find in your grandparent's house.

"Here, have a seat at the table." Kaleb directed me toward the dining room and pulled out a chair. I sat down and he took my crutches from me and leaned them up against the wall.

"Come serve up!" Kaleb's mom called.

"How much would you like?" Kaleb asked.

"Just a little bit will be fine," I said as my stomach growled loudly. He laughed.

"I think I'll get you a little more," he stands up and walks over to get me my dinner. He comes back with a plateful full of delicious looking spaghetti that made my mouth water. The first real dinner I've had in a month. Kaleb sits down with his plate along with his mother. Kaleb starts eating then I do, then his mother.

"So," Kaleb's mother swallowed her mouth full of food. "How long have you two been dating?"

"Dating? What? No!" Kaleb choked up some food. I laughed. "We're not dating, Mom. We are just friends. I'm helping her get back on her feet."

"Oh, okay. Where do you live, hun?" she asks, while spinning noodles onto her fork.

"Um, well," I pause for a little bit, not sure how to tell her. "I don't live anywhere."

She stops looking at her food and immediately looks up at me and stares.

"I'm so sorry, I can go if you want me to," I insist.

"No! You're not going to go anywhere until you're back on your feet. You can stay here as long as you want, sweet heart."

"Oh, thank you so much, Ms., um."

"Ms. Babson," she smiles.

"Ms. Babson, sorry."

"No need to apologize, dear!"

After dinner, Kaleb brings me upstairs to a nice, medium size room with a dresser full of clothes, and a closet, the warmest, most comfy bed I have ever seen.

"So, this will be your room. I'm right next door if you need anything," he smiles. I hobble over to my bed and lay down. Kaleb walks over and pulls the covers over me. He kissed me on the forehead, then walked out saying, "Goodnight."

"Goodnight." I smiled.