7

It's been a week since that perfect moment. I feel like Kaleb and I are now closer than ever. From the minute we wake up, until the minute we go to bed, we are together. Unless we're going to the bathroom or something. That would be weird. We're not dating that I know of. He hasn't asked me out and I haven't asked him out. We haven't kissed since then, but it's the only thing that has been on my mind. Just how perfect it was, how perfect his voice was when he was singing. I sit down on the couch and pick up my guitar. Kaleb has been teaching me how to play our song the whole week and I think I finally have it down. I start strumming and singing then my finger slips and the guitar makes a weird sound. I sigh. Kaleb walks in strumming his guitar perfectly.

"You messed up," he took his last big strum, and laughed.

"Shut up," I laugh. Kaleb starts fiddling on his guitar and I just watch. "How long have you been playing guitar?" 

"Seven years. My father taught me before he left."

"Where did he go if I may ask?"

"My parents got divorced, so now my father lives on the other side of the country and remarried," Kaleb put his guitar down. 

"Oh, I'm so sorry," I look down as he sits down next to me.

"It's okay. What about you?"

"Hm?" I look up at him.

"How did you become homeless? And if you don't want to answer, it's okay," he put his hand on my back.

"Well, when I was twelve my mom died and then my step-dad starting abusing me. I wanted to protect my little sister. Then, he kicked me out and threw this guitar at me as I was walking out."

Kaleb pulled me towards him until I was resting on his shoulder. He leaned back and I leaned back with him. His fingers brushed through my long, brunette hair. He kissed my forehead.

"I am so sorry that happened to you. I'm here to protect you now," he rested his head on mine. I smiled. I wanted to kiss him. I looked at him and he looked at me. I could tell he was thinking the same thing when our lips came together. The kiss lasted a long time. Just like last week, I never wanted this moment to end. Then, the front door opened. I sat up quickly. I look over and I saw Ms. Babson.

"What was that?" She crossed her arms.

"It was nothing, Mom. Nothing happened," he sat up.

"Nothing? You know that the front door has windows right? I saw everything."

"So you were stalking us?" Kaleb stands up.

Ms. Babson didn't answer. "I warned you what would happen if you got in a relationship with this girl, Kaleb."

"We're not in a relationship!" He raised his voice. "And I'm eighteen. I'm not a child. I can do what I want!"

"Can you now? You realize that you still live in my house? And I still pay the bills?"

Kaleb didn't reply for a few moments, "We are not dating."

"Sure, 'cause people just kiss and cuddle as friends."

I stand up. "If anyone is being punished, it should be me."

"And why is that?" She looked over at me.

"I, um," I didn't know what to say.

"I warned your boyfriend-"

"He isn't my boyfriend," I interrupted. She glared at me.

"I warned my son that if he were to get in a relationship with you, you can no longer sleep here."

"So you're just going to throw her out? You're heartless," Kaleb clenched his fist.

"No, she can stay during the day, but not for the night."

"She's going to stay during the night and you're not going to do anything about it."

"I'm sorry, do you not remember that last time I let you have a girl, that you were in a relationship with, over for a few nights?"