35

The next morning my heart was pounding, however it felt like it was standing still. As if it has given up on everything. The world around me was shaking. I couldn't see it, but I could feel it moving.

A faint voice appeared. "Jessica!" It sounded like they were yelling, but I only heard it as a whisper. My chest was rising and falling as I slowly took one breath after the other. I heard mumbling from the same voice that called my name, but I could not make out what they were saying.

I didn't know which breath would be my last. Within the hour, I felt myself being picked up by someone strong and muscular like they've done it a thousand times before. 

"You're going to be okay, Jessica. I promise," a familiar voice rung into my ears faintly.

I was now in a vehicle with sirens and flashing lights. Soon enough, air was forcefully being put into my lungs. I realized how tense I was when I finally relaxed. All the muscles in my body were sore.  They ran me into the hospital and pulled me into a private room with a bunch of machines. They begun to hook me up to all of them.

I heard more mumbling, but it was coming from an unfamiliar voice. "Do you know if she is pregnant?"

"Not that I know of," Kaleb said, I could finally recognize his voice.

When I heard him say that, I first thought my heart skipped a beat, but it really stopped. All of my muscles failed. My eyes closed.

I flatlined.

For a minute, I could still hear everything around me.

"Start CPR," a doctor said, calmly, but urgently.

"Jessica!" Kaleb yelled.

"Get him out of here!" the doctor spoke again. "Someone get a crash cart in here!"

The crash cart rolled up quickly from a nurse who was pushing it. Two small, cold mats where laid on my bare chest. "Clear!" 

A shock wave spread quickly through my body. My heart jolted and finally started to beat again. Everyone in the room took a breath of relief.

"She needs an MRI now," the doctor said. I could finally make out that it was a woman talking and she sounded like she was the head of them all. Like a surgeon or something.

The nurses rolled my bed out of the room. Kaleb came running. "Is she going to be okay? What happened?"

"Sir, please stand back. We're going to do the best we can to treat her. We'll report what happened as soon as we find out."

I was then pushed to a room where an MRI machine stood still.

"Should we make sure that she's not pregnant first?" a nurse said.

The woman doctor looked at the clipboard. "It says right here that she's not pregnant."

"But remember that last patient we had where we thought she wasn't pregnant, but she was?"

The doctor sighed and nodded. "Verify with the family if it's okay to take a blood test."

The nurse nodded and ran out of the room. The doctor observed me. My eyes were now open.

"Can you hear me?" she asked gently. I nodded. I was too weak to speak. She smiled like she talked, gently. "You're in good hands."

I faintly smiled. I took a deep breath.

"They said it was fine," the nurse said, rushing back into the room.

The doctor looked back at me. "Are you okay with us doing a blood test to see if you're pregnant?"

I nodded. I didn't know if I was pregnant anymore after all of what just happened. She took her needle and pushed it into my arm. I flinched at the quick pain.

"Luckily, we just got some new technology that will tell us if your pregnant or not within the hour," the doctor said and turned to the nurse to give her the needle with my blood in it.

I rested my eyes and put my hand on my stomach. What is Kaleb going to think?