16

I opened my eyes slowly. They were heavy, I didn't want to wake up. I looked around and I was still in Kaleb's room. I sit up, but hold the blanket at my chest. I look at Kaleb and he was still asleep. I kiss him on the forehead then start to slide out of the bed. His hand reaches out and grabs my arm and pulls me back. He kisses me. "Don't go," he said, his voice sounded tired.

"I have to. I don't want your mom walking in on us like this," I got out of the bed and started putting my clothes on.

He sighs, "Okay."

I slowly walk out into the hallway and towards my room.

"The walk of shame," a voice came from behind me. I froze and turned around slowly. It was Riley. She stood there with her arms crossed. "Did you really think you could do that with my little brother and not get caught?"

"I, I, um," I had no idea what to say.

"I thought you guys weren't dating."

"We're not!" It's not worth arguing about, but it was too late.

"Sure," she rolled her eyes. "Why don't I just go talk to my mom and tell her what you guys have been up to."

Kaleb's door opened and Kaleb's head peeked out the door. "You're not going to do shit, Riley."

"Seriously? You're saying I'm not going to do shit? You can't do anything. You're still naked. So I'm just gonna start walking down the stairs," she takes one step down.

"Riley," Kaleb's voice was firm. She takes another step down. Then another.

Kaleb's head disappeared from the door way and he starts putting his clothes on. Riley takes three more steps down the stairs. I'm frozen. I can't move. I just stare at Riley hoping that she doesn't make it all the way downstairs before Kaleb comes back out.  Riley goes the rest of the way down the stairs and starts walking down the hallway towards Ms. Babson. My breath quickens.

Kaleb rushes out and chases after Riley. He grabs her arm and pulls her back. I look over the balcony.

"What can I do to make you not tell Mom?" Kaleb asked; worry filled his eyes.

"Hmm," she thought for a moment. "Don't talk for the rest of the day."

"Why?"

"Ah! I said no talking." Riley walked into the kitchen, where Ms. Babson was cooking breakfast. "Hey, Mom, guess what."

I tensed. She wouldn't.

Ms. Babson turned around. "What?" She smiled.

"Guess what Kaleb and Jessica were up to last night?"

Ms. Babson's smile faded away. "What?" Her voice was soft but firm. I could see Kaleb's fists clench.

"Sleeping," Riley laughed. "Got ya!"

Ms. Babson laughed. "Oh, phew! I thought we're going to say something totally different."

Riley continued laughing and glared at Kaleb. I could tell Kaleb really wanted to say something. Instead, he stormed upstairs and went into his room. I followed him. He was sitting on the bed with his leg jumping up and down.

"Kaleb?" My voice was soft. I sit down next to him.

"I'm sorry," he whispered.

"For what?" I put my hand on his back.

"That you have to go through this. With my sister and everything. Last night was amazing and you're amazing," he holds my hand and I smile. "I don't regret it at all. However, I don't think we should do that again any time soon."

My smile fades away.