Hope

Tobias' POV 

I remember learning, somewhere, that a hit to the temple can prove to be fatal. That is why I was so nervous when Tris hit her head on the stupid end table. Why I carried her into the bedroom so Nemewey and Crystal could watch her better than I could at that moment.

Though, the way Nemewey looked at me when I walked in Tris cradled in my arms was jarring. I wonder how much, if any, of the conversation that occurred just outside the door she heard. 

What am I saying? She is a naturally curious person, being a former Erudite and all, of course she heard. I just want to know how much and how she interpreted it. (Nem, you know this is you XD)

And if she saw him slap me. I didn't think he would, since I transferred out, but I was wrong. Boy, was I wrong. I don't know why I reacted the way I did, I was just... Scared, I guess. I don't know what came over me. Maybe I really am a coward...

After he saw my reaction, he smirked. Then laughed a cold, merciless laugh. Then he just left, without another word. The slap didn't even hurt that much, but it reminded me of when I was little. How it started with a simple slap then increased drastically.

"F-Four? What happened?" Nemewey's small voice is the thing that snaps me back to reality.

I snap my head toward her and she stands in the doorway, her body cut in half by the frame. "How much did you see?" I try to say calmly, but it sounds like a snap.

She flinches but regains her posture. "I saw enough to know something's up,"

I close my eyes and clench my hands into fists. I was right. She saw. She saw him.

She walks toward me, her eyes trained on the floor, then on me. I can see a spark of fire in her eyes, a sight I've never seen before in her blue eyes. 

"I know what I saw, and I know what you're thinking. You're thinking that since I saw what the man, whom I assume is your father, that I will think you are weak, and that your reaction makes you a coward," She says sternly, her eyes alight. "You think that I think you are weak, a coward. You're wrong. I do not think you are weak, I think you are the exact opposite. You are brave, and, if my assumptions are correct, you are a survivor. If anything, my respect for you has risen far more than before,"

With that, she walks back into the room. And I stand there stunned. I did not expect her to say that.

A loud gasp comes from inside the room. "S***, go get him!" Crystal yells and Nemewey runs out of the room, her eyes bright with worry.

"Get in here now, she's unconscious. We need to get her to a doctor now, if not, she could have severe injuries," She says with all seriousness.

I forgot she was training to be a Dauntless nurse. I run into the bedroom and see Tris, her eyes lightly shut, her body free of any tenseness. I pick her up and start toward the door, Crystal and Nemewey trailing close behind.

"Be careful, you Dauntless idiot!" Nemewey shouts. 

I roll my eyes and respond, "You're Dauntless too, you know?"

I hear he groan and smirk, continuing my seemingly endless walk toward the infirmary.

* * * *

It has been two days since Nemewey, Crystal, and I brought Tris in here and she still hasn't woken up. The wedding had to be moved back, the new date is still not known.

I stroke her knuckles gently and whisper to her. Every day, even though I know she can't hear me, I tell her what's going on. I sometimes hope she can hear me, other times I mentally slap myself for being stupid. He parents come by often, her father normally glares. I don't know why he hates me so much. The gang also comes, Chris and Zeke the most. Mae is also here nearly all the time. I haven't left her side and I won't until she wakes up again.

I love her and it pains me to see her so pale and motionless. She looks almost lifeless. I watch the slow rise and fall of her chest and listen to the steady beeping of the heart moniter, the only things keeping me sane. 

Then something amazing happens. Her hand twitches and her breaths hitch. Then, her beautiful blue-grey eyes open and she looks right at me.

I leap from my seat faster than lightning and press my lips to hers and squeeze her hand. She fights against me and pulls back. I look at her with confusion.

"Four... What are you doing here?" She asks shyly.

My heart drops and my eyes widen.

Hehe, Remember: READ, VOTE, and COMMENT! Bye, Pansycakes!

-Love, Emily

Be brave