This Isn't Real

Tris ' POV

I have no idea where the heck I am except for the fact I'm somewhere in Amity. After they took the first video they gagged, blindfolded, bound, and carried me to a car. Then they drove for what felt like forever until I smelled fresh air mixed with rotting apples and I knew I was in Amity. That was the last calm moment I'd had in months.

Every night before I go to bed, I pray that I'll be found. The most they'll tell me is when it's Sunday, that's all I asked for once I got here, once I learned that yelling for Tobias was futile. 

All I know is that I've got to get to a phone, and if I can call Tobias for thirty seconds, he'll be smart enough to track my location, thus finding me. Being a third Erudite comes in handy sometimes.

* * * * 

The daily routine is the same everyday: Marcus, Eric, and Peter beat me and insult me beyond words. Jeanine puts me under some sort of simulation, her purposes unknown. Caleb coming in and telling me what I'm missing in my old life, how broken Tobias is without me. Then I may get some time is pure silence, with nothing but me thoughts to keep me company. 

If I stay here much longer I'm sure I'll go mad. Perhaps I already have, and I just don't want to admit it. If I'm mad, then once I get out, I'll be sent to a shrink (Therapist) and that's the last thing I want. I do not want to be one of those people who have delusions and pop pills until they go away. 

Marcus comes in, for the second time today, and smirks at me. I glare at him.

"Why, someone's in a bad mood," Marcus says with mock sincerity.

I roll my eyes.

"I still don't know what my son sees in you. You're small and very annoying, very ugly,"

I should not let is words effect me, but that one felt like a shot through my heart. I know I'm small and not pretty. I mean, I'm not ugly, but I'm certainly not pretty. 

The only person who ever made me feel beautiful, loved, and wanted was Tobias, and who knows where he is. Maybe he moved on, found someone prettier, smarter, everything I'm not. I'm constantly reminded of this, and the thought haunts me.

I hear a gunshot and a scream of pain. More bullets and more screams. Bullets fly through the air outside the door. I can't move, my wrists and legs are bound together and I can't move.

Marcus cuts the ropes and puts a .45 caliber pistol to my head just as the door busts open and three men who look a few years older than I come in, guns trained on Marcus. I recognize them all immediately. Zeke, Uriah, and Tobias. I knew they would come.

"Let her go or, so help me, I'll put a hole in your head," Tobias growls, his finger on the trigger.

Marcus laughs, his belly rumbling against my back. If I didn't have a pistol to my head I would move away, but I do have a pistol to my head and can't move or I know he'll shoot me. He'll shoot me without a second thought. 

"Put the gun down now," Zeke says sidestepping Uriah, his words serious.

Marcus laugh an evil, malice laugh. 

"You don't want her, you want me. Let me take her place. If you're gonna shoot someone, shoot me. But so help me, don't you lay another finger on her," Tobias growls.

Uriah and Zeke share a worried glance, fearing what the man who is like their brother would do to his so-called father.

"This is your last chance, Marcus. Put the d*** gun down," Uriah says, his voice bigger than him.

I close my eyes and try and regulate my breathing.

Tobias walks up and grabs Marcus my the collar and pushes me out of the way. The real Tobias would not have done that, he would have remembered that I could be hurt and wouldn't push me. 

This isn't real.

I pull away and scoot beside the bed and pull out a blade from my pocket- a blade that wasn't there a moment ago. I know what to do. I know this isn't real, now all I have to do is wake myself up. I've done it before, in my fear landscapes, when I did the impossible- I cracked the glass just by putting my hand on it. I'll do the same now.

I will my leg to be as hard as diamond, the blade will not go into my leg because I believe it will not, I will make it not. I thrust the blade at my thigh.

The blade bends.

I jolt awake, tears making my face hot and wet. Jeanine yells in frustration.

"How do you do it?! How the h*** do you do that?!" She screams.

I never have an answer for her, which normally ends with slaps, kicks, or belt lashes. Sometimes more simulations.

The door opens and Caleb walks in, he looks worried. Why should I care if he's worried? He helped hold me hostage and he broke me the worst. He would tell me, sometimes show me by video, how broken Tobias was. That broke me more than the beatings ever could.

He speaks only four words, "They've found us,". Those words fill me with something I didn't recognize at first, for it has been so long since I last felt it. Hope.

Okay, I know y'all probably hate me because of the simulation thing, but it has to get worse before it gets better, right? Remember: READ, VOTE, and COMMENT! Bye, Pansycakes!

-Love, Emily

Be brave