Sarah Jane Kathrine Eaton

Tobias' POV

Tris' head slowly bobs from side to side on the white sheet of the gurney, then her eyes roll back in her head and her body is released of any tension. She looks so peaceful. If I had not known the situation we were in, if her life and our baby's life, I would have believed she was sleeping.

"What happened to her?!" I bellow in my instructor voice.

"She passed out," The nurse says plainly, but sounds worried as she checks Tris' pulse and frowns even harder.

"Well, yeah, why did she pass out?! Is she okay? Is our baby okay?" I all but scream.

"We... Well, we don't know exactly, something to do with the stress from the baby and the impact." She glances into my eyes but they quickly shift away, "Who is her next of kin?" 

"Me, I'm her husband and father of that baby." I say with all seriousness.

"Okay, you will have to wait out here, we have to do a quick body scan and ultrasound. Does she have any metal on her?" The nurse asks softly.

"Yes... Her-her wedding band and necklace. And her knee brace, I think." I stutter. The nurse goes and grabs her left hand and slowly but swiftly removes her wedding band. She unclasps her necklace and knee brace. The nurse slowly hands them to me.

"We'll be back shortly." She mumbles and pushes the gurney out of the room. I follow behind, Tris' knee brace, necklace, and wedding band clutched in my hand. I will not leave her side.

"I am coming with you, I will not leave her side." I snap and she glances down at Tris' colourless face and shakes her head.

"You can't, this is too serious. If you do not go peacefully, I will get someone to restrain you." She hisses. This girl is defiantly not Amity.

"No, I will not--" Zeke and Uriah grab both of my arms and haul me back away from Tris, away from my baby girl. They use so much force I can barely stand straight and can barely keep my balance.

"Four, come on. She's in good hands, come on." One of the brothers mumble, I am too distraught to comprehend who said it.

They drag me back into the waiting room where the rest of the gang waits, all silent. My face is hot and wet, I must by crying. Zeke comes over and brings me into an embrace. A real embrace. Sometimes there is only two emotions left; laughing and crying. And crying is the only one I am capable of right now. 

No matter how strange it may seem to the both of us, Zeke holds me to him and I just stand there, silent tears streaming down my face. We just stand there, time seems endless. Zeke finally releases me and I collapse into the plastic hospital chair, clutching her wedding ban in my hand. Her knee brace is tucked safely in my pocket and her necklace is accompanied by her wedding band.

* * * * 

The big wooden doors burst open and the same nurse, looking shaken, rushes out. 

"Four Eaton, get in here. Now." She breathes. I leap from my seat and rush toward the nurse, Tris' wedding band in my right hand. 

"What's wrong?" I gasp and stare at the strange nurse.

"There was a problem. The-- her-- uterus can no longer hold the baby, her water broke too early and the baby is coming. Like, right now." She says frantically.

"I-is she okay?" I manage to say through the shock. "Is our baby alright? Is Tris alright?"

"We don't know if the baby will make it, she is very premature. It's about a fifty-fifty chance right now, and it is looking good right now since her lungs are developed." 

"I'm coming in with you." I say with all seriousness.

"Okay, but you'll have to scrub up." She beckons me toward her and I follow her instructions thoroughly. We walk into the operating room and I see Tris laying on a white hospital, an oxygen mask over her beautiful face.

I walk over to her and slip her wedding band, which is just a plain silver band with a clear diamond, onto her left hand. I clasp her hand tightly and kiss her forehead lightly.

* * * * 

"I've got her," One of the doctors calls out and I see she has the figure of a bloody baby resting in her hands. But she's not crying.

"Why isn't she crying?" I ask frantically. Nobody responds when they take my baby girl out of the room. "Where are you taking my baby?"

"Sir, sh is under oxygenated, meaning her lungs are not getting enough air. We have t put her on a breathing machine." The same nurse from earlier says slowly, like I can't comprehend what she is saying.

That's when I hear it. A baby's cry. Loud, beautiful, and strong. 

"Is that my daughter?" I ask in shock and my gaze shifts toward the door then back to Tris' tension less face.

"Yes, I'm assuming you want to see her, right?" The nurse smiles "Come with me."

I follow her out the door and down many halls. She stops at a wooden door and pushes it open slightly. There are many little baby beds in this room, but she leads me to the one in the far back corner. 

"Here she is," The nurse says. The baby bed has a little lid on it and she has so many tube and wires connected to her. 

"Hey, baby girl." I whisper into the opening.

"She has to be in an incubator since she is so premature. We'll transfer her to Dauntless once we deem it safe. What is her name?" 

Tris and I have discussed names before, so I don't take more than two seconds before I respond, "Sarah Jane Katherine Eaton." 

"Sarah Jane is a beautiful name," The nurse says softly and I nod. "Do you want to hold her?" 

"Yes." I respond and she pulls Sarah Jane out of the incubator slowly and places her into my arms gently. She is so small!

Sarah Jane has Tris' small nose and pointed ears, but my eyes. She has a tuft of blonde hair, just like Thalia did. She is beautiful, a perfect mixture of Tris and I in her small face. I can't wait for her to meet her mother, I'm sure she will love her.

Sarah Jane reaches her small hand up and grasps my hand, her small hand only able to get a grip on one finger. She is beautiful.

Okay, I'm not sure if I think this is a super cute chapter or if it makes me want to cry... I think a little bit of both. Hope y'all liked it! Remember: READ, VOTE, and COMMENT! Bye, Pansycakes!

-Love, Emily

Be brave