Epilogue

Third Person POV 

The clouds were a sorrowful grey, the wind blew lightly. Fifty years had passed since Thalia, eldest daughter of the Dauntless legends, was born. Now she's alone. 

Her parents passed a few years ago, it was heart-wrenching for poor Thalia. Her mother had a heart condition that nobody knew about, and nobody could prevent. She died in her sleep, peaceful and strong. Her heartbroken love died the next day. 

Her younger sister died months after Thalia finished her own initiation, never getting to do it herself. She was ill, very ill. Sarah Jane was always sick, the doctors predicted that she wouldn't live past her tenth birthday, but she did it. She did it. She made it two years longer than the doctors predicted. 

Drowning in memories, the now aged woman approached three worn grave sites. Her parents, side by side, with her sister. It's difficult for her to breathe, let alone speak. Clutched tightly in her hand, is three single flowers. Slowly, she places one upon each grave. There are coins scattered on her parent's tombstones from years of people paying their respects. She didn't know what happened to the coins when they are cleaned, it was something she found herself often wondering about. 

With great difficulty, she managed to croak, "I love you, Mama. I love you, Daddy. I love you, Sarah Jane." 

But she didn't cry. No, she didn't cry anymore. She didn't waste her time on tears, what good would it do? It wouldn't bring her family back. 

Her fingers found the cool metal of her necklace, where two charms lay, undisturbed until now. A ring. A ring the size of a small girl's finger. It was her sister's favourite ring. And a small pendent. A black stone, with silver jewels around it--it was her mother's necklace. Her father had given it to her mother when they meet. Her mother was only sixteen, her father eighteen. They loved each other with a love that was greater than love, and that love spanned until the day they died. 

Raindrops begin fall. A few drops, then more. Thalia liked the rain now, it reminded her that sometimes even the sky cried. She said a silent prayer before heading back to the train tracks. She wouldn't be riding the train--nobody did that anymore. She would walk back to the compound, the way she did every time she visited the dreaded spot. 

The wind had grown cold, and the rain feel harder, but Thalia didn't mind. She didn't mind that the rain soaked through her clothes, drenched her hair. She didn't even notice, she was too engulfed in her own thoughts to notice the world around her. 

Thalia learned a long time ago, that the world was a cold place. She learned that death doesn't discriminate between sinners and saints, it takes, and takes, and takes. And we keep living anyway. 

The sound of children's laughter filled her ears. Her gaze fell on the old playground, where two children sat on the rusted swings, the chains creaking with every movement. She loved children. Once she married--her childhood love, his name is Alexander--she had two children of her own, two girls. Annette and Sarah Jane. They are all grown up now, and how beautifully they grew up, too. 

One child on the swings suddenly stopped, and, ignoring the falling rain, rushed over to the woman. With her eyes wide, she wrapped her small arms around Thalia's waist. 

"I'm sorry to bother you, Mrs, but I just saw you and couldn't help myself." The young girl said in a small, shy voice. "You're Ten, right?" 

"Yes," Thalia replied. 

"I've heard great things about you, Mrs. Ten. And when I grow up, I want to be just like you." The young girl said. 

"What you your name?" Thalia asked softly.

"Eliza," She replied shyly. 

"Well, Eliza, you can do anything you set your mind to. Never forget that. And never forget, to rise up. When you're living on your knees, rise up. Is that your sister?" Thalia pointed to the other child on the swings. Eliza nodded. "Tell your sister that she's got to rise up." 

"Okay, Mrs. Ten. I will, I won't forget. I promise." With another quick embrace, the girl was gone. 

This happened often, children coming up to her. They knew her name, but just because they knew her parents. But she didn't mind, she liked being connected to her parents. It filled the ache in her chest, made her feel like she was made of something again, for just a moment. 

Though, no matter how happy she seems, she wondered what death was like. Was it like a beat without a melody? When was it going to get her? In her sleep, several feet ahead? 

Over the years, she learned the truth. She knew it really was true that you don't get to control who lives, who dies, who tells your story. 

And now it's up to her. She must tell her family's story, she must tell those who can't speak but a whisper's story. 

But who told Thalia's story? The woman who made sure everyone's flame was kept alive, who kept her's alive? Everyone must ask themselves: who lives, who dies, who tells your story?

And... I'm trying not to cry. This was a very hard and sad chapter for me to write, but I knew it had to be done. Overall, what did y'all think of the story? Favourite part? Favourite character? Favourite line? What can I do better? Again, thank y'all for sticking with me through this story. This was my first fanfiction, so I hope y'all liked it. Remember: READ, VOTE and COMMENT! Bye, Non-Pansycakes!

-Love Emily

For the last time, be brave