Teddy Bear

Tobias' POV

I hurry out of Tris' hospital room and rush toward our apartment. I run into Zeke on the way.

"Hey, Buddy. What are you doing?" He asks and looks at me strangely.

"I'm going back to the apartment, Tris had the idea of getting Thalia her little teddy bear for her so she can see it when she wakes up." I answer simply and continue my walk back to the apartment, and Zeke begins to follow me.

"I'll come with you, I have nothing else to do." He shrugs and I glance back at him.

"It's midnight, shouldn't you be, I don't know, sleeping?" I say sarcastically.  

"Not tired." He shrugs. 

"You and Shauna fighting?" I say and shift my gaze toward him, his face is slack and pale. I guess I was right.

"Um, kind of. She wants a kid, but I think it's too soon." He sighs "I don't know what to do, Four. What do I do? When did you and Tris decide it was time for Thalia?"

"Well, it sort of happened. We never really talked about it before, but we both knew we wanted a family. I can tell you this, though: When you do find out she's pregnant," I look away from his gaze and finish "You're never going to be happier. I-I don't know how I personally felt when I found out about Thalia, and Sarah Jane, but it feeling that only a father can get."

"Wow, Four. I've taken one thing from that," He says and stops to lean against the rock wall. I turn to face him.

"That is?" I cross my arms and stare him down, unintentionally, of course. I do that without even knowing sometimes.

"You've gone soft." He starts to laugh. I punch him in the arm.

"I am not soft, come on. I've got to get the bear thing." I grab his arm and begin to drag him down the hall, him laughing the entire time.

"You're so soft." He gasps. I punch him again. "Ow, but your punches aren't..."

* * * * 

Zeke stands in the living room, pacing, while I run into Thalia's room and grab her teddy bear named Teddy. I got it for her when she was real little, and she's always had it.

I get into Thalia's room and it's exactly the way she left it before she... Before she was... There is a book open beside her bookshelf, a stuffed animal thing leaning against her bed, and small doll like figures laying in and around her dollhouse. Her teddy bear sits on her perfectly made bed, which was made before we had taken her to Natalie and Andrew's apartment. 

The teddy bear itself is old and patched in many places, and had to be 'operated' on many occasions. Also known as Tris taking the bear and sewing it while Thalia is at school. It has a little black bow tie and black vest. It's a Dauntless teddy bear, of course. 

I grab the bear of her bed and lust stare at it for a moment. This room and bear hasn't been touched since she went missing. Well, that'snot completely true because we've both come in here multiple times, just standing in here or sitting on the bed. Every time I come in her, I pray

**Flashback**

"Byyye!" Zeke calls like a child and waves his hand floppily. I smile slightly, not a full smile, and unlock the door to our apartment. I set the keys down in a little bowl and slip off my jacket. 

"Tris?" I call out, earning no response. Maybe she fell asleep, she hasn't slept very well since Thalia went missing. She'll be woken up in the middle of the night from a gruesome nightmare. All involving Thalia. When this happens, I don't know how to help her. There is nothing, I've realized, that I can do but hold her and tell her it'll be alright. Sometimes it's a reassurance to both of us, because I really don't know if it'll be okay.

I walk into our room and see the black bed sheets are pulled taunt, and Tris isn't in there. That's when I hear the sobs. Heavy, violent sobs that can only be cause by something horrific, and I know who it is. I hurry to the door of Thalia's bedroom and see Tris sitting on Thalia's bed, her left hand resting on her baby bump (Keep in mind that Sarah Jane has NOT been born yet, just pointing that out) her right hand clutching Thalia's favourite stuffed animal, an old and tattered teddy bear. 

"Tris," I say through a gasp. She jumps to her feet and quickly wipes away her tears and sets the bear back on Thalia's bed, slowly, like she doesn't want to put it down. "Are you alright?"That was a stupid question.

"Yeah, I-I'm fine," She breaks down in sobs again. "No, I don't know what I am anymore. All I know is that I want my baby girl home. I want to keep her safe." She grasps the bear slowly then sinks back don onto the bed again. I walk over to her and pull hr into an embrace. She buries her head in my neck, taking deep gulps of air through heavy sobs. I don't say anything, just hold her. Sometimes silence and just being there is the best comfort you can give a person.

**Flashback over** 

I grasp the teddy bear tightly and rush out of Thalia's room and see Zeke sitting on the sofa, staring at nothing.

"You coming?" I ask as I place my hand on the doorknob. He jumps up and jogs over to me, acting like nothing happened. 

"Yep, I kind of want to see Tris and ask her about this. No offence, but she's better at this stuff." He pats my shoulder and I glare. "You're not very nice to anyone but Tris, Thalia, and Sarah Jane."

"Hey, I can be nice." I counter.

"You punched me twice on the way here." Zeke points out and I roll my eyes. 

"You deserved it, admit it."

"Fine, whatever."

* * * * 

I open the door slowly, in case Tris' asleep. She sits up in bed and looks over at the other hospital bed that holds Thalia, her eyes filled with tears. Then she glances at the white bassinet that Sarah Jane is sleeping peacefully in.

"Hey," I whisper and she jolts upward. "Just me, and Zeke's in the hall."

"Zeke?" She whispers in confusion.

"I ran into him on the way and he wanted to come, long story." I shake my head. "Look what I have." I hold up the tattered teddy bear. Tris' eyes light up.

"Can you help me up? I want to help you tuck her in, in a way." She smiles and I come over and lift her out of bed, placing her bare feet on the cold floor. She winces. 

"You alright?" I ask.

"Yeah," She says and grasps the little eddy bear. I help her over and help her sit on the edge of Thalia's bed. Tris places the bear slowly under Thalia's folded arm, so it's pressed against her chest. She leans forward and kisses her forehead.

I help her up again and lead her across the room and back into the hospital bed. 

"Lay here?" She whispers and I nod but point over to Thalia. I walk back over and kiss Thalia on the head gently and whisper, "Good night, princess."

Then I remember that Zeke is still in the hallway. I point to the door and step out slowly. Zeke stands with what looks like to be a shocked expression.

"What?" I ask, utterly confused.

"You! What did-- you just, what? I've never seen you like that..." He trails off but smirks and mouths: "You've gone soft!

I punch him in the arm and tell him to come back tomorrow. He nods and laughs as he walks away. I roll my eyes, for what seems like the hundredth time today, and walk back into the hospital bed, back to my family, my complete family. Thalia is home, Tris is in no serious pain after Sarah Jane's birth, and for a premature baby, Sarah Jane is oddly healthy. Everything is back to the way it was, and I hope it will last.

Hello, sorry for the late update but I wanted to get it up! Hope y'all liked it! Remember: READ, VOTE, and COMMENT! Bye, Pansycakes!

-Love, Emily

Be brave