Prove It

Tobias' POV

Thalia got out of the hospital about a week ago and nothing else has come up about the note. I'm worried for Thalia's, and Sarah Jane's, safety.

"Daddy, can I come to training with you today?" Thalia asks. 

"Sure, you haven't came since you were this tall," I hold my hand at the approximate height of a five year old.

"What does that have anything to do with it?" Thalia tilts her head and pushes her dark glasses up her nose. She had to get glasses at a young age, she just had bad eyes. I think it makes her look intelligent. 

"Just a figure of speech," I stick my hand out and she fits her small hand in mine. "Let's go."

"Hold on, I have to grab something and say good-bye to Mama." She runs down the hall and into Sarah Jane's bedroom, where Tris is comforting her. We think she got pneumonia. I go in after her and see Tris stroking Sarah Jane's blonde hair and Sarah Jane's chest heaving and her face flushed from labored breathing. I walk over and kneel  beside her head.

"Hey, Peanut." I whisper and push a strand of blonde hair out of her face.

"Hi, Daddy." She says but begins to cough vigorously. "Daddy, it hurts." she wails and clutches her chest.

"It's okay, Peanut. Shh, it's okay." I soothe and push another strand of hair that fell into her face. Her blue eyes are fulled with tears and pain. I clutch her hand and stroke her knuckles. "Shh..." 

* * * * 

"She's asleep, she wore herself out." Tris sighs and leans against the wall. She puts her hand on her forehead and closes her eyes. I put my hands on her waist and draw her closer. She lays her hands on my shoulder and they snake around my neck and up into my short hair. 

"She'll get better soon," I whisper reassuringly. "I hate to say this, but I have to go train the initiates. I'm taking Thalia with me, she wanted to come." Tris hasn't been training the initiates since she was pregnant with Sarah Jane, she would come by very now and then, but never full time. She would always come for our knife throwing act. That's why she has almost lost the top of her ear.

"Okay," She pulls back and kisses me gently. "I'll see you around lunch time?" 

"Yeah, Thalia and I will come back for lunch." I say. 

"I love you," She whispers.

"I love you, too. I'll go get Thalia." I lean down and kiss the soft skin right below hr ear and hear her sigh softly.

I walk down the hall to Thalia's room to find the door closed, but I can hear speaking from within the room.

"... To feel, when deeper still the shades;

Of death gathered o'er the brain,

No clasping hand, no farewell kiss,
Pressed upon the brow, again-- again!
"

She shouts then I hear a thud. I yank the door open and see Thalia laying on the floor, staring up at the ceiling.

"What are you doing?" I ask, humor in my voice.

"Practicing." She says simply and stands, dusting dirt of her black ballerina skirt. "Poetry week at school, we each bring in our own poem and read it to the class. I chose "A Stranger's Doom"." 

"Okay, well we have to get going." I say and she quickly grabs a book off her bed and the one in her hand. I raise my eyebrows.

"I like books, okay?" She grins.

* * * * 

Thalia's POV

"Today we will do knives. After lunch will be guns." Daddy says in his scary calm voice. I have settled myself in a corner beside the table with guns and knives. I prop my book, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, up on my lap and watch Daddy yell at some initiate.

"Four, can you come over here?" A girl calls and twirls a strand of bright red hair around her finger. I can tell she likes him, it's pretty obvious. He rolls his eyes and walks over to the girl with bright red hair. 

"What?" He growls, I don't think he likes her very much.

"Can you help my stance? These knives are an absolute horror!" She fake laughs and bats her eyelashes. Now I hate her. The girl with fiery red hair places her hand lightly on Daddy's arm and pulls it up slowly. I've seen Mama do that one time--she didn't know I saw--but he didn't flinch away with Mama, but grinned. That's it.

I stand up, place my book tightly under my arm, and storm over to where Daddy and the girl with fiery red hair stand. He has a look on his face that I've never seen before. 

"Hey!" I shout and stop right in front of the girl with fiery red hair. She focuses her dark eyes on mine and scowls. 

"Aren't you a little young to be here?" She growls. 

"I'm allowed to be here. And you can't do that!" I shout. She glares even harder.

"Do what?" She asks innocently.

"That... Thing you just did! You put your hand on his arm! Only Mama can do that!" I bellow, stealing a glance at Daddy, who is fighting laughter. 

"What do you mean? Who are you?" She snarls. 

"I'm Thalia, and you can't do that, only Mama can!" I shout again.

"Mama?" She asks again, a scowl set promptly on her freckle covered face.

"My Mama. He's my Dad. And you can't do that, you got that?" I growl.

"You don't control what I do, brat. I don't know who you are, but judging by this," She jabs her painted finger at my book and I shift uncomfortably. "You are in the wrong faction. So run along and play with your dolls."

"Hey, don't talk to her that way." Daddy growls. I step next to him.

"I got this." I say sternly. He steps back. "I am in the right faction."

"Prove it." She growls. I shrug and knee her in the gut, just like Mama taught me, and when she hunches over in pain, I take my book and trust it at her head, causing her to fall in pain. 

"Hmp." I nod and hear clapping. Every other initiate is clapping and cheering. I nod and bow. 

"Taught you well, baby girl." Daddy says and lifts my up so I'm sitting on his hip. I pull my book out and continue to read even though I'm still in his arms.

What did y'all think of Thalia's act of Dauntlessness? Hope y'all liked it! Remember: READ, VOTE, and COMMENT! Bye, Pansycakes!

-Love, Emily

Be brave