Chapter 16: Kill Your Fears

Ezio's POV

When Mine and I came back to base, we've been given news about Esdeath taking Tatsumi as a prisoner. We were all in the meeting room to talk about a rescue plan for him. "We need to be smart about this if we're all agreeing on rescuing him," I said.

"But shouldn't we wait for Miss Najenda to come back?" Lubbock asked.

"If we wait, who knows how much time Tatsumi has before Boss's return," Leone added.

Akame and Mine looked disturbed. "You two alright?" I asked worriedly.

"What if she's torturing him?" Akame asked. The question Akame asked made everyone worry. I slam my hand on the table to get everyone's attention.

"I understand why you're all afraid for his safety, but we can't let our emotions get the best of us..." I've gotten everyone's attention, so I continued. "If we do go there to rescue him, we must prepare for the worst." They all stared at me.

"What do you mean by 'prepare for the worst', Ezio?" Mine asked. I looked down at the table.

"We must prepare if Tatsumi ever turns against us."

Tatsumi's POV

After I rejected General Jibaku's offer. I was forced to watch a village be slaughtered, engulfed in flames, and trapped in a cloud of mysterious gas. Esdeath was by my side, she seemed to be focusing on the genocide before us which gives me the opportunity to escape. Before I could move a muscle, Esdeath placed her hand on mine, ruining my chances of fleeing.

"It's nice to watch the weak suffer without Jibaku interfering." Esdeath chuckled. I looked at her strangely.

"What do you mean by that?" I asked. Esdeath looked at me. "Whenever we raid a village or enemy camp. He would order us to slay all men and seize the women and children." She explained. Her answer made me curious.

"Why would he want to keep only women and children alive?" I beseeched. Esdeath answered with a slight shrug.

"I don't know, neither does anyone else." Her answer made me suspicious about the dark general.

When Esdeath's team of teigu users (also known as the Jaegers) returned back to us, some of the members intrigued me. The girl with short black hair in a twin-tail style known as Kurome who looked awfully similar to Akame. Wave reminds me of myself. Seryu is probably Sheele's killer, and the man wearing a gas mask who is named Dr. Osore... I don't even know how to describe him.

"It seems you all have done your job well," Esdeath said, sounding pleased. They all nodded, except for Dr. Osore, who was silent the entire time.

When we returned to the palace, I was walking around the halls, thinking of an escape plan until I ran into Dr. Osore. His eyes looked dead through his mask.

"Greetings, young Tatsumi." Dr. Osore introduced. I stare at him nervously. "Tatsumi, do you fear death?" He asked.

His question made me shiver, but I regain my cool. "Not since I grew up," I answered with a serious tone.

Dr. Osore chuckled, "Perhaps Sayo did." He replied sinisterly after walking past me.

After hearing that pissed me off, I clenched my fist in anger and gritted my teeth. "What did you say?" I questioned. Dr. Osore stopped walking.

"I'm sure you know what I said." He continues walking, leaving me enraged.