~Chapter 14~

AN: Wonderful people, I'm back! Sorry for the long wait, I'm horrible, I know I said this would come earlier...but at least it's here now, right? *hides away from splash of rotten tomatoes*.

I also have a surprise for you. Something VERY VERY BIG is going to happen in the second half of the chapter. So excited to hear your opinions about it! :D

Thank you as always for your support, guys! I could not have made it here without you. HUGS! LOVE!

Fearsome Hamster

PS: That's how I envision Zachary's manor.

The sun had already set when the carriage arrived at its destination, their fancy transport oh so graciously provided by Lord Frost. Dark foreboding clouds were heavy in the evening sky, warning any travellers not to dare venture outside tonight if they valued their life. Nature itself had been deadly quiet on their journey, even the crickets' song muted in fear. All wild animals hidden away in their nests, as if waiting for a terrible storm to strike down and tear everything in its path. Something dark was indeed brewing 

Still, her father had not backed down, insisting to honour her fiancee's invitation to his house. Of course, HartWell would not let such an opportunity pass by. 

Ignoring her father's outstretched palm, Margo stepped out of the elegant cabin and stared at the imposing structure before her. His home was not an ordinary abode just like the owner himself– the stunning stone manor rose high, an ancient man-made giant among the forest trees surrounding it. Gothic grey towers were guarding each side of it, their high arched windows revealing nothing but encompassing darkness. During the Old Times, this place must have surely belonged to a mistrustful king with enemies aplenty. It was easy to imagine archers positioned on each strategic balcony and fatally shooting any trespassers. The unforgiving November air swept, making her tremble and wish she were not so out in the open, as if the ghosts of those soldiers were very much alive and targeting her with their crossbows.

Strangely, the small castle,  reminded her of the man responsible for so many of her troubles and pleasures lately. Dark, unreachable and solitary. Her heart pulsed painfully. How she wished she were wrong about him. Why did he have to force himself in her life and prove otherwise?

Out of the corner of her eyes, Margo noticed the curtain of a dimly lit chamber move. Was that him watching them?

"Imagine how rich he is to have such a palace. And if the rumours are true, it's not his only one," her father snickered, walking proudly in front of her and Nana as if he already owned the place.  

Behind her, bouncy steps accelerated on the wet pavement. Her brother was also in a daze seeing the humongous mansion and garden. He most likely viewed everything as a big playground field.

Too bad Thomas had accompanied them as well on this visit. Margo hated it when her little sibling was forced to see this dark avaricious side of their parent. And it was only going to be uglier as the night progressed. The richer the people, the more HartWell would try to get in their good graces. And Zachary was a very wealthy man if his opulent behaviour so far was anything to go by. 

Wealthy enough to buy people and mould them to his own dark desires without their consent. Her treacherous heart twisted at this cruel condemnation, while her head burnt with resentment. She could still not believe he had left without her job at the tavern.

Besides her, Nana rubbed her hand comfortingly. Her grandmother was the only to know her misery. Between whispered words and hair tugs to bend her insolent locks into a semblance of submission, she confessed to Nana about Zachary. Unfortunately, not even her sweet consolations could calm the ravage caused by his actions.