~Chapter 23~

AN: Hello, wonderful people! I feel like this chapter could have been written better, but I was just too excited to share with you guys what happens next in out married couple's life *grins like a maniac*. I might edit this again for mistakes.

Thank you for your amazing support as always! You are the best <3

P.S. Above is how I kinda picture Madame Percy's Tavern, but in a more urban setting.

Fearsome Hamster

Margo's form tossed and turned on the bed. Also asleep, Zachary tightened his arms protectively around his young bride, unaware of the night terror plaguing her subconscious.

.................

The night sky was heavy with rain. Water drops fell relentlessly on the pebbled road. Any soul unfortunate enough to be caught in this torrent was now hurrying with quick steps towards a warm shelter. The weather was indeed hellish.

Soon, the streets of the town became deserted. No one sane enough ventured the darkness of the night, especially in such poor conditions, save for one stray tomcat that was watching with disinterest above the rooftop of an old house, hidden in the nook of a balcony. Below, bawdy drunken songs and soft troubadour music could be heard. Only the tavern across the road shone with welcoming light and the promise of ale and wine for any lost travellers with troubled minds. Missing a few letters, a scratched wooden plate with "Madame Percy's" was beating cryptically in the wind hanging from the entrance of the said dwelling.

After a busy day, the night was finally upon the town.

Suddenly, the silence was disrupted by angry hooves in the distance. A carriage appeared around the corner, stopping abruptly near the tavern. Wild-eyed, the horses had foam around their mouth, a sign of the cruelty of their owner.

A sickly thin young man stepped off the carriage, opening the door of the elegant cabin for his master and fumbling with the umbrella in his hands while rain poured on him hard. It would not open despite his desperate attempts. A thunder rumbled and taken by surprise, he dropped it in the mud. Falling to his knees, the trembling man retrieved the now dirty umbrella, hoping his master had not noticed the slip.

He had however.

The burning pain of the whip on his slashed back confirmed his fears. "Stupid boy. You are not even capable of the menial task of holding an umbrella," his master sneered. The boy bit back a groan of pain, refusing to drop the umbrella above his master's head. The punishment would be worse if he did.

"What are you waiting for, go ask for some rooms for the night. HartWell sure does not have any respectable accommodation in that run down manour of his. That is if he does not offer me his daughter's chambers," the well dressed man snickered, his belly moving with apparent amusement at his sick joke.

The boy hesitated, the umbrella still his hands. He had just been ordered. But then who would hold the umbrella for his master? His slow response earned him a kick in the ribs this time, ending up splashed in the mud.

"What are you waiting for?" his master asked caustically, taking a threatening step toward the cowering figure laying in the dirt.

"Immediately, Lord Frost," the young servant nodded as he quickly got up and ran towards the tavern.