~Chapter 26~

AN: Hello, wonderful peeps!

Early update as promised! Featuring a bit of Benji in case you missed him and typical Margo getting in trouble. :O
Gotta say, I was amazed what a supportive group our Zachie has - no one believed Lia.
Xx

Your Fearsome Hamster

"You liar!" A furious yell echoed in the enormous cave. Before he could finish his attack spell, the red-haired man was seized by the black-caped guards, some of the most loyal followers of their leader. He trashed in vain, blue sparks flowing at his fingertips helplessly with no outlet. The silver arm bands on the guards' bodies allowed no magic to touch them.

His shoulders slumped in defeat. "She was never meant to take part in this war. She is innocent," he implored the man whose back was still turned to him.

"Young Benjamin," the Leader spoke softly, but it still sent shivers down his spine. "Every war has its collateral victims. Although, I do assure you that the girl is no innocent. She has seen the monster's true nature, yet she has not killed him. Our rules dictate she knows too much now."

"Margo is no warrior," Ben growled out. The guards tightened their already painful grip on him for his slight insolence. "That bloodsucker is strong."

"The ancient one is even stronger now because of your friend," the Leader turned around, his scarred face losing its composure as it zapped the redhead before him. No one should dare defy him. The mage had felt the shift in the air, the whispers in the earth– the vampire was indeed becoming more powerful with his mate by his side. The bloody snow was the monster's doing.

Before him, Benjamin tried to silence his groans as the torment continued. The Leader flicked his thumb in his direction.

The pain suddenly ceased. Only the guards's hold on the young man was still keeping him upright. "G-give her..." he spit out blood on the wet ground "a-another chance," his green eyes were burning with magic, barely simmering on the surface.

The Leader curled his lips in disgust. "I see such potential in you, Benjamin, yet you are still clouded by these noble emotions of yours." The scarred mage tilted his head. On command, his silent guards started dragging a trashing Benjamin back into the darkness, despite the man's vehement growls.

It was time for the young mage to remember why he was among them. The spells would make sure his true purpose never strayed again from their path, though his mind might break under the strain.

The Leader's senses prickled as another presence entered the cave then. Elegant and deadly as the night.

"Step forward," he commanded to the one lurking in the shadows. He already knew who it was.

"My men are ready, my Leader," blue eyes watched him vigilantly as he approached. His abhorrent scars were not for the weak-hearted, yet the Dark Mage before him never flinched as his fingers caressed her smooth cheek. A little thing she was, yet many had found their death under her claws and fangs.

"The forest prepared?"

She nodded. "The forest's boundaries have strong wards enforced. We have only a small window of opportunity while the ancient one is gone. It will be enough for our plan though," she nodded, taking off her dark cloak. Her ivory arm band glinted in the light of the torches in the cave – she had fought for her high rank among the Dark Mages, stepping on dead bodies and earning his loyalty.