~Chapter 17~

AN: Hey, beautiful people! :) In this chapter, we meet a new character *gasp*! I hope you get to like him as much as I do. ( Above is an idea of how he looks like.)

Thank you for your amazing support, guys! If you have any thoughts regarding the story/characters or anything random really, share them. I love talking to you. :) Peace out,

Fearsome Hamster

"You are growing soft, Zachary," a disappointed deep voice rang out.

Only another supernatural could creep so stealthy and roam so fearlessly in the cold stillness of the night, a time when all sensible humans kept their doors locked tight in false hopes of safety. And only one of his ancient calibre would dare interrupt Zachary in his feeding–a highly disrespectful faux-pas in vampire tradition. He would make the transgressor pay in tears of blood for this audacity.

Zachary turned, deadly intent shining in his eyes. Fangs out, claws unsheathed, his corded body ready for battle. At least this way, some of the tension accumulated because of the mating heat would dispel. He suddenly stilled.

The sight before him made him stop his attack, his sharp fangs still retracted in case memory failed. The massive man moved out of the shifting shadows, stepping into the light of the street lamp. His acute senses had not deceived him. Those molten silver eyes could belong only to one person.

"Lazarus." Zachary made certain his voice did not betray him to his once old friend. Being near Margo had made him reckless in his display of emotions. His mate brought out his very primitive instincts to surface.

Zachary shoved the enticing thought of his female away when he saw Lazarus's nostrils twitch. He thought he saw shock flash across his hard face. While not classically handsome, Lazarus' unforgiving sharp features possessed an alluring intensity, deadly to all prey fooled by it. Those grey orbs of his had seen more death than very Hades himself.  An enforcer of the supernatural, the other male stood at a slightly shorter height than him, still towering over all humans he had encountered, with tight muscles evident despite the flowing black cape he liked to wear even now. His leather-clad legs were splayed wide, his hand empty of the customary sword of his kind– a sign the male had come in peace.

Zachary refused to lay his guard down though, still staring at the dark bearded man with suspicion. Too many empty years had passed upon their lost friendship. His imprisonment left him unable to distinguish between friend and foe.

Lazarus was the first one to drop his gaze. It was not an act of submission, but more one of tentative companionship. "Zachary, you finally found her," his gravelly voice boomed. "I would offer my congratulations, yet I still scent the uncompleted bond riding you hard."

The vampire indigo eyes flared with silent warning. However, the male still continued. Lazarus was too perceptive not to notice the threat emanating from his growling form, he must want to get a rise out of him. If he continued with this topic, the male would certainly get his wish.

Lazarus raised a hand to his bearded jaw and scratched the hidden scarred skin pensively. "I knew you to be more proactive, I was witness to how ardently you waited for your fated one all these centuries." Suddenly,  the enforcer snarled, accusation clear in his grey slits. "Or are you not content with whom the gods have blessed you with?"

Zachary's boiling point was reached. Rain started pouring hard.

In a blur, he smashed the offending male on the nearest wall, some terrorised rats awakening to run away from the scuffle between the two predators. Lazarus passively allowed the assault, even while Zachary held his neck in a chokehold otherwise fatal for a human.