~Chapter 25~

AN: Hello, wonderful people! 

Summer has officially begun for me, so hopefully more updates are on the way (next chapter is almost done). Sorry for this chapter, I am not completely satisfied with it :(, but the ball needs to keep rolling. Our ship is rocking yet again, will it be a Titanic and sink or will Margo and Zachie make it through? :O

Your Fearsome Hamster

Margo stirred, the unfamiliar satin sheets providing but a slight comfort to the pounding headache she could feel coming. She groaned out loud. Why did she feel like this? She had not even drunk that many glasses of champagne, unlike a certain grandmother. Raising her hand to massage her temples, she could feel a small bump on one finger.

Her eyes blinked open. An opulent ruby ring flashed in the sunlight. Ahh. A big smile stretched on her lips while a blush coloured her cheeks red. How could she forget? Reminiscing what Zachary – her husband– had done to her explained some of the unusual aches in her body. The young woman crossed her legs.

She jumped to her feet, looking around.

There was no sign of her vampire.

She wondered where he could possibly be. Bright light cascaded out of the gothic windows and she gasped in delight finally noticing the fairytale scenery outside.

It was snowing heavily, everything covered in a thick layer of snow and ice. How peculiar. Margo was sure that before she had gone to bed, there had been no sign of such a drastic change in weather. As a child, such snow storms were always a reason for great happiness, the landscape promising great adventures. Now, however, a sense of uneasiness was trickling in her bones the more she watched snowflakes freeze on her window pane.

Someone was probably out there in the cold, with no roof above their head.

Uncle Ray!

Her legs trembled and she barely grasped the window sill for balance. She remembered now. Zachary had known all along what had happened to her friend and had remained quiet. She recalled confronting him– or trying to confront him last night and he had hypnotised her yet again.

"Good morning, my love," the door opened behind her. Her unreliable heart jumped in her chest hearing that suave voice. She spun around. The betrayed look on her face stopped her husband from advancing further. 

Margo warily watched him put the breakfast tray on a nearby table. He had brought her French toast and black tea, her favourite morning dish. Damn him for knowing my habits so well. Zachary cleared his voice.

"I suppose you remember now. I had hoped for more time," he looked tired, his wide shoulders hunched over and the light in his indigo eyes dimmed. 

"More time to lie?" she lashed out before she could stop herself. "You had known about Uncle Ray and yet you said nothing," Margo crossed the distance between them. "What have you done to him, is he even alive? Zachary, if you have–".

His jaw ticked. "The old man is fine," he interrupted. Was he jealous? After what he done, he had no right to be.

"Where is Uncle Ray, now?" she demanded, though a burning part of her also wanted to know why there was such exhaustion painted on his face. He sighed.

"He is at my horse farm, near the border of the kingdom. The one we visited with your little brother Thomas a while ago," he uttered, trying to catch her gaze. Hearing this, she inwardly winced. That place held such sweet untainted memories – it was the first time she had seen a gentle side of him there. To hear that it currently stood for Uncle Ray's prison corrupted it.