2. At the Doorsteps of a Forever

5 years later:

"What if you both end up being mates?" Emma, the beta's daughter, asked quietly. She is the sweetest and the shyest wolf you will ever meet.

We were all camped by the lake on the eve of our 16th birthday. Me, Evan, Tyler, Justin, Sara and Emma, we officially became a group when we all shifted around the same time 2 years ago. We decided to celebrate the last day of our carefreeness together.

"B.O.R.I.N.G" we shouted out together, then turned to each other and grinned.

"Why?" Sara argued "won't that be the most romantic thing ever? It will be like the moon goddess loves you guys the most so she conspired to make everything fall in place for you and you both didn't have to spend even a day without each other" she concluded with a dreamy look.

Sara is the hopeless romantic in the group. Everyone gave her 'the' look.

"So, what are you going to do if it happens?" Justin repeated Emma. They were not stopping until they have their answer.

"She'll kill me" An irritated looking Evan muttered. He has been having the 'wedding day' mood swings for a few weeks now and it was getting on our nerves. One moment he looked like he wanted his mate to come jumping into his arms, the next moment he looked like he wants to dig a hole and hide in it until his hair turn grey just so he didn't have to be with one woman forever.

"Damn right, I'm going to skin him alive if he turns out to be my mate" I mock-growled "did you count the number of girls hanging by his arms in the past year"

Turns out puberty did justice to my best friend. And he ended up looking pretty decent. His towering height and his sparkling green eyes naturally attracted crowd. So, Evan with a new girl every other day is a common sight.

"Told ya" Evan rolled his eyes leisurely "We need new people in our lives pal...." He winked at me

".....the ones we can discover little by little" I continued for him "the ones who don't know how clumsy we are, so we can be elegant for them" I pointed at myself "or the ones who don't know how afraid we are of horror movies, so we can be macho for them" I pointed at Evan

"End of story" Evan said hurriedly

"So why is the party at Eva's home and not at yours?" Justin asked Evan

"We had all our birthdays celebrated at Evan's so my father wanted this special one to be at his expenses. His daughter finally meeting her life partner, it's his dream" I repeated the lines my mother made me memorize. Evan remained silent beside me, I elbowed him and he slowly nodded his head in confirmation.

Sigh. Parents, they make you lie to your friends.

*****

I will officially turn 16 tomorrow evening at 5. We told the boys that we would see them directly at the party and bid them goodbye. Emma and Sara were staying at my place tonight. We had an early spa appointment. What can I say, I am a girl after all, I have my own 'first sight' dreams.

The probability of me finding my mate was higher than Evan's. According to the general trend the she-wolves are a year or two younger than their mates. That's not true for everyone though, Alpha Blake is younger than luna Alexandra. That is why Liam was so disappointed on his 16th birthday.

Speaking of Liam, whoa that man has some balls, not literally (I promise I never saw his 'ahem', never, we never shifted or trained together), yeah so you get my point.

So, Liam as expected of him got into med school last summer. He did come by a couple of times to keep up with his alpha training.

Three weeks back, after we finished our morning training with the pack, Evan and I moved towards his house for breakfast. We take turns at each other's homes for meals. We get the menu beforehand and grab the best of both.