28. Let's blame it all on the Moon. Okay?

"I'm glad you're tied to me" He whispered.

My eyes widened in shock. I never knew he could be this blunt. I thought I had some more time before I have to start dealing with his wolf's possessiveness. I thought he could keep his wolf in check for a longer time. It's not even the mating season yet and that has me confused.

"If there was no bond between us..." he began

"I would have chosen him without a blink" I cut him off, suddenly afraid of where this conversation was heading "Without the bond, you would have simply been Evan's brother to me" it's not like these words weren't hurting me, they were. But I don't know where I was getting this confidence and desire to let out my frustration on him. I'm not usually this rude with others.

He smiled. Had I not been this close to him, I wouldn't have noticed the slight twitch in his smile. I wouldn't have noticed his eyes hardening slightly but it was gone before I could draw any pleasure from it.

"I don't think I can say the same for you" he said staring right back at me, a newly found resolution dancing in his calm eyes.

Confusion swarmed around my head "What do......are you...." I struggled for the right set of words "What are you playing at?"

He sighed "I don't know how to 'play' so I'll just say what I mean"

No. Don't. Please.

"I think I have started to...." He began "No, I'm certain that I have started to want more from our relationship. I no longer see you as just my son's mother or...."

"I'm your mate" I panicked "Of course your wolf would want more. I thought you understand that much"

".....or just my mate" he said "You should have let me finish" he eyes softened "I'm talking to you because I know that it's more than...." He moved closer "I want you" His hand brushed my cheek as he softly pushed a lock of hair away from my face.

Is he doing it deliberately to stop me from thinking? If that's his goal, he's succeeding. My wolf shivered inside me. He is her weakness. The moon is her weakness. But him this close to her under the moon, it's a recipe of disaster for me.

My ears took the words in but my brain was finding it hard to process them.

"I want you" he repeated "I" he emphasized on the 'I' "want to be a part of your life" he started running his hand softly over my hair "I thought it will be unfair if I don't give you a fair warning of where my feelings are heading"

The emotions reflected in his eyes scared me. His words were mere whispers but they were making me tremble.

I looked at his hand still on my hair. I gathered all my strength and took a step back leaving his hand hanging in the air for quite a few seconds before he fisted and pulled it back.

What.....what is he doing? Is he saying that he likes me? Me? Not my wolf? I can hear the panic button ring relentlessly around my head. I'm not on the same page as him and neither was I expecting him to ever be on this page, let alone this soon. I might have heard him wrong. His 'I' probably includes his wolf.

"So tell me" he continued taking advantage of my silence "What can I do to become a man you would go out with?" he tilted his head slightly "What is your type Eva?"

"I..." I shook my head vigorously trying to get out of whatever spell he was putting my wolf in "I don't want you" the words I've been chanting for years slipped effortlessly out of my lips, more out of habit than anything else.

He continued to look at me, not a muscle in his face moved as if he didn't just hear me say 'no' to him.

"Plus, you probably are momentarily mistaken because I helped you through the day" I continued "Trust me I was just doing what I was supposed to do for my own good, not yours. You don't like 'me' you only like your wolf's mate. We grew up together, if you had to fall for 'me' as a person, you would have done so before I became your mate. But we were strangers before that. You were not affected by me back then. So, everything you're feeling now, it's just the bond and nothing else" I finished with a smile, happy that I could successfully put my thoughts into words.