10. The Tables have Turned

Ray>>>>

Liam:

When I heard another name associated with my mate, my wolf woke up in attention. Our senses heightened as we took in every word that was being spoken.

Baby? My mate's?

My body went still and my mind went numb. My wolf was taking over. I could feel it. I had to get out of here. I needed the forest or my wolf would ruin everything that comes its way.

What I heard next changed the direction of my steps 'my eyes' 'strong wolf blood'. My mate's face flashed through my head, her face snuggled in my chest, her body wrapped in my arms.

I snatched the phone out of Evan's hand before he could hand it over to father.

Hope. That was the desperate emotion. I couldn't even differentiate whether it was my wolf or me feeling it but it was pathetic nonetheless.

My eyes fell on him and my animal growled "Mine".

He was in my mate's arms. They were grinning at the camera, their cheeks next to each other forming the biggest stretch of happy lines.

Mine. He was mine. Even a blind man could tell. My heart swelled. There was no doubt that it was not just my wolf this time whose soul regenerated. The darkness in our eyes gave way to warmth as we took in the familiar green ones looking back at us.

I looked back and forth from my mate to the miracle in her arms not knowing whom to fill our soul with first.

"What do you mean?" I heard someone say, it was all just distant noise to me.

My source of joy was snatched out of my hand. I snarled at the intruder ready to pounce.

"Alpha what's wrong with you" My brother asked; his eyes wide with confusion and fear.

I looked around. Every single face was strained on me with identical expressions, fear and confusion.

I shook my head violently trying to rein my wolf. He wasn't ready to leave. He couldn't control his excitement and that was clouding my senses.

"I......I need a run" I forced the words out.

"We need an explanation for your behavior...." I could hear my father yell after me but I was out of their sight by then.

Pushing the countless questions on my mind aside, I let my wolf take over. He was happy after ages and I let him savor it.

He hopped around the forest for hours before he was drained out. He let me out as we reached the mountain by the lake. I took out clothes from my usual spot and sat down to watch the sun make way for the moon.

The insatiable urge to lay my eyes once again on the little creature was killing me. But there were other things on my mind.

My mate gave birth to my pup; without me. As soon as the thought crossed me, a dry chuckle escaped my throat. Look at how easy it was for me to forget the past. I was accusing the woman I threw away of not informing me about our child when I made sure there was no 'our' to begin with.

Wolves are selfish and territorial creatures and as much as I try to make myself behave a little more human, my innate nature won't ever go away. I know I have no right over her. She was practically a stranger to me as I was to her. I remember what I did to her when I had a dream for another future. Yet I know what I am going to do. I am going to beg her to come back with me for the sake of my sanity.

I got up to leave when the stars completely took over the sky, not leaving any hint of the evening that went by. My feet carried to the familiar path that I have been taking frequently for the last four years.