11. The Dos and the Don'ts

My wolf yelped as she saw her mate. She was jumping around with joy. My heart started beating so hard that it almost felt like he could hear it. Heat started creeping up my face.

"Caught ya" Ray suddenly wrapped his hands around me to snatch the pipe away as Dan yelled in glee. I guess they didn't get the memo that the party was over. The happiness didn't last long as I felt him stiffen.

My eyes didn't leave Liam. I could see every single emotion that crossed his eyes. Right now, they were blazing with rage. I reflexively moved away from Ray. I realized that his eyes weren't on me now but were on something behind me. I followed his gaze and it landed on Dan, who was pulling Ray's hair trying to grab his attention.

I gathered all my courage. "Alpha" I said, loud enough to break his trance "What brings you here?" yeah real smooth.

He turned his gaze to me and growled, not liking me feigning ignorance. He took confident strides and stopped a few feet away from me. Without taking his eyes off me, he said "I could tell you what I'm here for but I'm not sure the human standing next to you would like that". If his eyes didn't show his spite enough, his voice made it clear.

"And you're not a human?" 'God, Ray, when will you learn the art of shutting up'.

Liam smirked, his gaze never leaving me "I tried it once, didn't work out"

"Ray will you please take Dan with you for the day" I said in a breath.

"NO" came Liam's immediate reply. His looked at Dan who was still sitting comfortably on Ray's shoulder. His eyes softened as he continued to look.

"Mine" he whispered to himself as he took a step towards Dan

"No" I said firmly as I stood before him, shielding Ray and Dan from him. He looked down at me with a scowl "You don't want to do this" he warned

"He is Uncle Evan's blother mommy" Dan yelled out of nowhere, happy to finally solve the piece of puzzle. Liam's mouth curved to form the most beautiful smile I've ever seen. I didn't know he was capable of that.

"You recognize me" Liam said softly

"Enough" I yelled "Ray, go"

Liam snarled at me and I glared back

"Will you be ok" Ray asked

"Yes, I've got this"

"No. He's not going anywhere" Liam roared as he moved forward to take Dan from Ray. Ray backed away; Dan was now hiding in the crook of his neck. All the shouting had scared him.

I held Liam's arm to stop him from moving, he stiffened. I realized it way too late that my touch brought our wolves to the surface. He turned his gaze to me. That was the moment when it all came crashing down, the longing and the years of separation. His eyes clouded as he took a step towards me.

"What's wrong?" Rays voice brought me back. I jerked away. "Are you sure you want to talk to him alone, Eva?" I nodded. Liam didn't protest this time. He just kept on looking at Dan until he was out of sight.

"Who's he?" he asked looking at the now empty space

"None of your business" I replied "Alpha"

He sneered "The man took my own pup away right in front of me and you say that it's not my business?"

"One, I never said that he was your child. Two, that man has more right over him than you'll ever have"

He looked at me. All his confidence and anger suddenly vanished in thin air. He opened his mouth to say something but I cut him off.