31. Don't flatter Yourself.

"What do you mean I can't go?" I asked half-confused, half-furious.

Luna Alexandra was currently sitting in my living room with Emma.

"The full moon this month, there are rituals and offerings that you'll have to perform. This month, it's not just about the heat dear" Luna tried to explain softly; almost afraid that I'll snap midway "You'll have to do that as the pack's Luna. People ar-"

"I'm not the pack's Luna" I cut her off, trying to keep my tone as civil as possible "you are"

She sighed "You have no idea how hard it was for me to decide to come to you regarding this. We know the complications of your relationship with Liam but..."

I softened at her helplessness "I already talked to the alpha about this last week" I held her hand assuring her "And he gave me permission to leave"

She looked taken aback for a moment "You two talked.....about....this?" she was questioning her own question, like it never occurred to her.

I gave her a small smile and nodded.

"We are not ready for this" I quickly added when her face started to light up in hope.

I have realized that when it comes to Liam and my relationship, I hesitate to give out details. I don't want others to know where we stand.

It's already weird that people have started calling me their Luna. It's not their fault, no, that's how the society works. The fact that I'm not in love with their alpha wouldn't change their outlook. They probably are like 'What? Is that even a real problem? She's our Luna because the moon told us so....duh...'

"I know. I know" Luna nodded sadly "But it's still your job to do. It's a blessing of health and fertility that the goddess endows us with. You will have to pray for the wellbeing of all the pack people"

"Who did it for the last couple of years?" I asked, hoping that would show them reason.

"No one" Luna replied.

"No one? How's that possible?" I was astronished

"It's the duty of the other half of the Alpha. Liam was given the position because he..." she abruptly stopped.

"Because he was about to mark Maya" I finished the sentence for her. She flinched.

"But he hasn't marked me. How can I perform the rituals?"

"Because you are the mate that the goddess chose for him" Emma said "She had to be marked to be his mate and only then could she perform the rituals. But you are his birth mate, you can do that but it would still have been more accurate had he marked you" she almost whispered the last part.

Too tired to argue, I just looked at her. I hope my expressions portrayed what I really want to tell her, 'can you even understand? The words you are throwing at me?'

"This month, all these years" Luna looked tired too "when the homes of every other pack lit up in excitement, ours stayed in darkness. I beg you Eva, please do this for us"

-------

"We need new rules" I told him as I sat next to him on the mountain top.

"Awesome" he grinned in mock excitement "I love rules"

I narrowed my eyes "I didn't know there was a sarcastic bone in you"

"What can I say" humor dancing in his eyes "Your charms are rubbing on me"

I chuckled.

"Rules" I said, coming to the point "I guess you've already heard that my hard earned vacation has been canceled" he nodded "So we both need rules to survive the month unscathed"