7. When the past comes knocking your door

4 years later:

"Are you sure it's her?" The urgency in the man's voice had Tim sigh in frustration.

"Yes, Mr. Wood, I'm very sure it's her"

"That was what you said last time as well" the man glared at Tim and he glared back.

No one likes to be reminded of their failures. Tim had a clean record; in the seven years of him working as a private detective, there was not one unsolved case, but this woman was almost about to ruin it, 'almost' being the key word.

He took a deep breath "Mr. Woods, we were looking at the wrong place all this time. With the description you gave me of her she appeared to be someone who would like to stay close to home and her family. I looked all over the country; that was my fault. Something drastic must have happened for her to even cross the ocean; or it might be the 'someone' as you can see"

Tim forwarded his tab for the man to see. He pointed at the happy couple in the park clapping as a child showed them weird moves.

"Don't you think it's her?" Tim looked at the man. His features softened as he looked longingly at the woman in the video. Had Tim not seen him happily kissing his wife the one time he visited their place, he would have assumed that the man was a crazy stalker obsessed with the woman in the picture. But that apparently wasn't the case, her father had accompanied him a few time to Tim's office.

"She......she looks different" he said softly "Who are they"

"From what I've gathered, the man might be her boyfriend" Tim replied, back to business "I would have said husband, given the amount of time the three of them spend together, but he doesn't live with them. That definitely is her child, given birth to or adopted, we don't know. We checked his certificates, he is almost 3, quiet a large kid to be honest. He might be theirs but I would say he isn't" he finished and looked at the other man, waiting for him to talk, which he did after what felt like eons of uncomfortable silence.

"Australia" he sighed "I would like to personally confirm it first" Tim rolled his eyes as the man continued "Keep this between us. I do not want to raise their hopes like the last time"

*******

Evan fixed his tie uncomfortably as he made his way out of Tim's office. He was not as used to interacting with humans as Liam was. But as the beta of the pack (all thanks to Emma not having a brother), he was forced to follow Liam into business with the outside world. But this was personal, one that was kept secret even from the Alpha so he couldn't bring his brother here. He wasn't exactly fond of the weird CEO of this investigating agency, given the fact that he has been disappointing Evan for the last three years.

Evan's thought went back to his best friend as he drove back home, he had to devise a plan to visit Australia without anyone knowing.

Eva, she just disappeared in thin air one morning leaving behind a bunch of letters that made no sense. Finding a mate wasn't something so mysterious that she couldn't tell her own people face-to-face. Even Alpha Blake was confused. He expected her to depart after a happy farewell and a promise of return with her mate.

But nothing like that happened. They gave her the time she asked for in her letters, one week, two week, to contact them back, she didn't.

A search for her resulted in the police from the city handing them her broken phone. They searched for her everywhere but it was as if she had disappeared from the face of the earth.

Evan had no idea what could have gone wrong for his best friend. She was happy and dancing the day before, how much can a person's mental state change in a day? She couldn't have left for so long on her own free will, she would have somehow contacted them had she been fine.