15. What is she made of?

Liam:

'To have a mate and to still live happily without them, you taught me that.' I close my eyes at the memory. She has the ability of getting under my skin in the most painful way possible.

She is our mate, our equal. She could get away with saying things. I was surprised at how calm my wolf was every time she ordered us around. He was letting her do that while he couldn't even take a harmless joke from Maya.

The fact that she was right about everything she said and did was making it harder for me to breath in the same space as her without my conscience killing me. She didn't do anything to humiliate me. She was so put together that it sometimes seemed like the bond wasn't affecting her at all.

I would be lying if I say that I expected her to be like this. I didn't. I was nervous as hell before I stepped into her place. I was expecting her to kick me out (although that wouldn't have gone very well), to hate me, to take revenge by showing off the man with her, like women usually did to relieve their anger. But she was so real, so true to her emotions that it threw me off-guard. It hurt me more. I could take drama, I was prepared for it. But the fact that she meant every word she said and that none of her actions were impulsive; frightened me as much as it excited my beast.

When I saw her for the first time after years, I didn't expect the pain to hit me that bad. I shouldn't be feeling jealous. I didn't deserve to feel any emotion that was associated with hope in the remotest possible way. My wolf growled at the sight.

They looked so complete. They looked like a living image of what I had dreamt of my future. She was so happy that she didn't even feel my presence. That was the extent to which the years have weakened our bond.

--

The day she told me that she wanted to be free of me was the day I realized how similar our thoughts were and I didn't like the idea one bit. That was the same fear I had when I followed her to my father's office all those years ago. She was so different yet so similar to me. There were so many layers to her. And at that moment I was very much aware of my curiosity to unfold her. My wolf was probably getting curious about its mate.

That day also made me realize how important that man was to her. That was a reality check for me. I couldn't entertain my wolf's desires. It was wrong. It would make me no different from all those wolves who forced themselves on their mates just because they had the right to do so. I have always wanted to be different from them. I didn't want to be a mindless animal. There was a reason we were half wolf and half human. If the goddess wanted us to be just animals, she would have made us so.

It is hard to control our animals and more so if you are an alpha. Alphas have to keep the pack together and that requires us to have undisputed dominance on the rest of the pack. In the animal world it's all about the strongest dominating the weak or taking them under protection. If an alpha's weak, he will be overthrown; and rightly so.

____

It was never my intention to drag her to the council. I couldn't ever do that to anyone let alone my own mate. Those were mere words to lure in the people who had the capability to take her home. That was the sanest way I could think of that would bring her home without hurting her.

To leave them here was never an option. I couldn't let my son grow up like this. He had nothing to do with our issues. Him growing up among humans without knowledge of his own pack was like a lion cub growing among a herd of deer. That will weaken the cub. It will make the cub think and act like a deer.

There were some basic rules that you have to adhere to no matter what. She made the mistake of raising a wolf's blood away from the pack. She was thinking with human emotions. She should have brought him to me no matter what the circumstances were. I understood her but the law doesn't understand emotions.