Chapter 8

Cuts P.O.V

"Will you marry me?"

Horn's question caught me completely off guard. I didn't expect him to ask any time soon, or at all. Those are four simple words that I had never expected to hear from anyone.

Everyone I've ever been around told me that I would die alone. No one would want to marry a transgender boy who could hardly venture into the outside world without getting hurt in some way shape or form. I would only hold them back.

Then Horn comes along and tells me that isn't true. He's always been my only supporter. He's always been there to reassure me that everything will be okay in the end. Even when I was at my lowest, he was there to help me reach my highest.

Horn makes me feel happy like no one else can. He makes me feel like my existence in this world isn't a waste. He loves me. When everyone else abandoned me because I couldn't be helped, he was still right beside me.

I hug him tightly and we both nearly lose our footing. Luckily Horn has better balance than myself and keeps us from falling off the dock.

He chuckles softly and smiles. "Is that a yes?"

"Yes," I say before pulling him into a passionate kiss.

Never before has a question made me so very happy. Today has gone from a trip into the outside world to the best day of my life. I love Horn. There is no one I would rather spend my life with.

"I love you," I say softly.

"I love you too," he says while kissing the top of my head.

He takes a silver band out of a small ring box and slides it on to my ring finger. He's especially careful of my bandages and cuts.

"I hate to ruin the moment, but it's really hot out and I think I'm starting to burn."

My shoulders feel hot and have started to turn pink. Horn notices too and nods.

"It's fine, Hun. I don't want you to burn."

We begin to walk back to the apartment to get out of the sun. I've only burnt a little but I know that it will hurt tomorrow. I really do hate my skin.

I rub my shoulder gently and sigh. I'm burnt. I burn so easily. I've already embraced the near certainty of skin cancer in my future.

"You need stronger sunscreen," Horn says after looking at my pink shoulders.

I sigh and rub my face gently. "I know. I'll get some later."

He kisses my shoulder gently before looking up at me with concern. "You're burning up already," he says.

I pull the blankets up on the bed. Instead of hot, I feel cold. I always feel cold after I get sunburned.

"I'm cold," I tell him while curling up in the blankets.

Horn lays next to me and pulls the bundle of blankets that contains me closer to him. A small smile forces itself onto my face. He always makes me smile.

"You're adorable when you smile," he says while poking my nose.

I stick out my tongue for a few moments to make him chuckle.

"I'm not adorable," I tell him.

"You are absolutely precious," he argues.

I roll my eyes at his comment. I never considered myself to be precious. No one else has ever seen me as a precious person. I find it hard to believe.

Typically, people who are considered precious are mentally delicate and innocent. I myself am neither of those things. I may be delicate physically, but not mentally. 

"No, I'm not," I say.

I could give an entire list of reasons why I'm not considered precious. Although, Horn would read it and still see me as a precious person. His opinion is rather hard to change. He's stubborn. 

"You won't change my opinion."

"I'm a sarcastic smart ass. How am I precious?" I ask.

He smiles and leans close. I feel a small blush begin to creep onto my cheeks as he brushes a few locks of hair from my eye.

"You're precious because you said you would marry me," he says in a soft and loving tone.

I blush darker and smile. Horn really does know exactly what to say. He knows what makes me feel good. I love him very much.

Sometimes I feel like Horn is too good for me. It's always a thought in the back of my mind. There can always be someone who's a better fit for him than I am.

He would have no problem finding someone else to love him if he wanted to. He's witty, funny, attractive. Most of his traits are rather desirable. He could find someone else with little issue.

There have been several times where he could have left. He could have left and moved on and been happy with someone else. But he stayed. He stayed with me and I can't express in words how happy that makes me.

It's obvious that I have abandonment issues. Pretty much everyone I've ever had by my side has had to leave for some reason. Some didn't even bother to make up stories about why they had to leave. Honesty can be particularly brutal in those cases.

I don't know what I would do if Horn doesn't stay. I know for sure that I would become an emotional wreck. He is my only real support system and without him, I would crumble.

Horn plays with my hair as I rest. It's relaxing and I enjoy it very much. He kisses the top of my head gently and smiles.

"I love you," I say, feeling as though I can never truly say it enough.

Three words that he will never get tired of hearing. They mean so much to both of us. In reality, they are just words, but just because they are words does not mean that they don't have a very powerful meaning.

"I love you too."

I never want this happiness to end. I truly hope everything works out.