Chapter 25

Horn P.O.V

Cuts is doing better now. He isn't beating himself up over breaking his streak. These things happen. Sometimes, you just have to accept the fact that it happened and that you can't change it.

I've been spending my afternoons at the tattoo shop. I want to actually start tattooing. I've been observing for about several weeks. It must seem rather eager, but I have a lot of confidence in myself.

I'm willing to tattoo on the synthetic material to see how it goes. If I screw it up, at least it's not on someone's body. I want to ask Kit, but he isn't here right now. Not to mention the fact that I have clients to wait on. I can't just leave them here to wait. Someone has to keep an eye on them.

Ultimately, I decided to stay. Kit doesn't have clients until later tonight. Perhaps I could start if he arrives early. That would be nice. I've always wanted to give a tattoo. It'll be interesting to finally have that experience.

Cuts is already expecting me to cover myself in tattoos. I don't want to be covered in ink, but I would like a few. It would be nice to have something permanent instead of something that I have to reapply every day. That gets tedious.

After about two hours, Kit finally shows up. He walks in casually, greeting his clients who decided to show up early. He's nicer than he seems.

"Hey, Horn," he says while walking by the desk.

"Hey, Kit."

Right now is one of the times when we're busier. Almost every artist is working on someone at the moment. I'm the only one working the desk. It's sort of boring if I were, to be honest. I would much rather be tattooing to get practice. It just seems like a good idea.

"Kit, when do you think I'll be able to start practicing?" I ask, turning around in the chair to face him.

He scratches the back of his head for a moment while humming softly. I hope he isn't trying to figure out how to reject me.

"Well, based on the work you've shown I think you should be able to start by the end of the month," he says.

I'm relieved that Kit will allow me to start that early. Sure, it isn't today, but it is soon; much sooner than I expected. Most people wouldn't be able to start this early.

"Thank you."

"No problem." Kit pats my shoulder before walking to the back of the shop.

The rest of the day flies by. Time moves much faster in the shop when all the artists are at work. Soon, I'll be back there too. I can't wait.

Kit locks up after everyone leaves. I overhear a few artists talking about going to a local bar for a few drinks.

"Horn, you should totally join us," Kit offers.

The thought of going out and drinking with fun people used to appeal to me. Going out and getting drunk off our asses used to be a thing I would do with friends. I haven't done it in a very long time and that's probably a good thing.

"I probably shouldn't," I say with a small chuckle.

"What? Scared you can't party anymore?" one of the younger female artists asks in a mocking tone.

I roll my eyes at her comment. She can't be more than a couple years younger. She probably went to the same high school as me. Something about her seems ever so slightly familiar.

"No, I can party. I told my fiancé that I would be home," I reply to her.

"So text him or her and tell them you'll be home later," she replies smugly.

It seems like the younger the people the more persistent they are. I know that she won't quit until she gets me to go along with them.

"It's only a couple of hours," Kit chimes in.

I sigh and take out my phone, texting Cuts that I'll be home a bit later than expected. The girl, whose name is Sydney, smirks in victory as we walk to a bar that's only a couple blocks away.

The bar is surprisingly empty. There's only a handful of people besides our group. We sit at the bar and each order our drink of choice. Surprisingly, Sydney doesn't like hard liquor. And she says I'm the one who can't party.

We all toss back drinks easily. It's obvious that nearly all of us can hold our liquor. The only one who seems to have trouble is Sydney. She's all bark and no bite.

We all share stories while we drink, laughing about the times we've made ourselves seem like complete idiots. Sometimes, you just need to laugh about the stupid stuff you've done in the past. It makes you feel better.

I never thought I'd look back on my reckless teen years and laugh about them. I was such an idiot. I never did anything right. I was always on drugs and out at parties. It's funny how things like that seem like fond memories when you're drunk.

Everyone seems to have stories from their past. It makes me realize that I'm not the only one who fucked up back then. It honestly makes me feel better to know that other people have come back from that.

After a while of drinking, talking, and smoking of illegal substances, I decide to call it a night. The others whine in protest, but I've been out long enough. It's time that I get home. I don't want Cuts to worry.

I pay for my drinks and bid farewell to my companions who are remaining at the bar. I walk back towards the apartment. The crisp night air hits me. It was much warmer in the bar.

I walk faster to get home quicker. I check the time on my phone. My vision is slightly blurry, but I know it's at least one in the morning. Cuts isn't going to be happy.