Chapter 35

Horn P.O.V

I help Cuts to the elevator, wishing that it would take us down to the lobby faster. My mind is going crazy with paranoia and adrenaline. Our daughter is going to be born tonight.

Cuts seems calm while taking deep breaths to work through the pain. I know he isn't calm, but at least he can act like it.

I help him into the passenger side of the car before running around to the driver's side and getting in myself. Part of my brain tells me to floor it to the hospital, but the rational part says to drive at the proper speed to reduce the chances of an accident occurring. I decide to go with the rational part of my brain.

At the moment, I'm too preoccupied with getting Cuts to the hospital to worry about my own seatbelt. Cuts is my main concern. I want to get him to the hospital as fast and as safely as I can.

Cuts grabs my arm several times during his painful contractions. Each time I tense up for a moment because I never expect to be grabbed. Luckily, I manage to drive steadily.

"We're almost there," I tell him, though I'm sure he isn't listening.

"Fuck, this hurts!" Cuts cries out, grabbing my arm again.

His stress causes me to drive a bit faster than I was before. I want Cuts' pain to be over as soon as possible. I hate seeing him in such excruciating pain.

"It'll be over soon," I reassure him.

Eventually, we get to the hospital. Luckily, because it's late, there wasn't a lot of traffic. The roads were mostly empty. It helped to ease my paranoia of a crash.

I hastily park and run around to get Cuts. His pain has only gotten worse. His contractions are lengthy and hard to differentiate. He can hardly tell when one ends and other begins.

I practically carry Cuts into the emergency room. Everything happens so fast, I can hardly process it all.

A nurse helps Cuts into a wheelchair and starts wheeling him towards the maternity section. I follow while filling out paperwork the best I can. Pen is not preferable when adrenaline makes your entire body shake.

Cuts is escorted to a room where nurses begin to prep him for surgery. Obviously, he can't deliver naturally. An epidural has to be administered and Dr. Ginnings must arrive to perform the surgery.

The epidural relaxes Cuts and eases his pain. He finally has a few moments to relax. The pain medication also keeps him calm and almost unaware that he's in the hospital. If it didn't, I'm sure he'd be panicking at this moment.

Once Dr. Ginnings arrives, the surgery begins. Cuts is taken back into an operating room and I am not allowed inside. I'm forced to wait in a waiting room.

The only thing I can focus on is the clock. My anxiety rises with every second that ticks away. I desperately want to see Cuts; to make sure that he and our daughter are okay. After all, she is eight weeks early. Babies have been born sooner, but I still worry because she's ours.

I find it impossible to stay still. I'm fidgeting because of the stress. Foot tapping, pacing, knuckle cracking; anything to distract me, even for a second. I sigh and rub my face, running my fingers through my hair.

The stress of not being able to see Cuts is killing me. I want to make sure he's okay. This entire pregnancy has been high-risk for him. Luckily, his skin never split. Unfortunately, now he has to be cut open, which could cause problems with the thickness of his skin.

The recovery process will not be easy on Cuts. He'll have to take better care of his body and probably be on bed rest, at least for a little while. I know he'll hate it, especially when he's going to have a daughter that he'll want to nurture and care for. I can already see him refusing to rest to take care of her.

Now, instead of fidgeting, I'm back to staring intensely at the clock. It's been forty-five minutes. The longer this goes on, the more I worry that something has gone horribly wrong. I'm very paranoid.

After a few more minutes, Dr. Ginnings walks out and motions for me to follow her. I quickly oblige as she leads me to a room.

Cuts is asleep, hooked up to a few machines that monitor his vitals. It's concerning.

"He bled quite a bit, but he's stable. He'll have to stay for observation, but other than that, everything seems okay," Dr. Ginnings explains.

"What about our daughter?" I ask quickly.

"She's fine. A perfectly healthy baby girl. She's in the nursery. I'll have a nurse bring her in," she says before leaving the room.

I sigh in relief and sit down in a chair next to the bed. Tonight has been mentally exhausting, but I know that it'll be worth it in the long run.

Cuts slowly begins to wake up. The first indication is a soft groan leaving his lips as he tries to sit up. I have to gently push him back.

"Don't even think about it," I say while using a remote to adjust the bed to a better angle. "How do you feel?"

"Like I've been cut open," he mumbles while rubbing his eyes. "Where is she?"

"The nursery. Dr. Ginnings said someone will bring her to us soon," I explain.

As if right on cue, a nurse comes in with a bundle of purple blankets in her arms. My heart nearly skips a beat from excitement. I'm not sure that I've ever been this excited about anything.

"Glad to see you're awake, someone's excited to see you," the nurse says with a smile.

She hands the bundle of blankets to Cuts, who gladly accepts to hold her. I can already see the happiness in his eyes.

She definitely carries my features; darker skin -almost mocha- a bit of a lighter tone than mine, darker hair, but her eyes are the exact same grey color as Cuts'.

"She's beautiful," Cuts says softly, brushing the small bit of hair she has with his fingers.

"She is," I agree.

"What should we name her?" Cuts asks softly.

Cuts and I never got around to talking about names. That was something we were going to do in the next eight weeks before she came along early and surprised us.

"I don't know," I answer honestly. "What do you think?"

Cuts looks back down at the small girl in his arms and smiles. "I like Charlotte," he says quietly.

I look down at her and smile. "Charlotte it is."

Cuts smiles before looking up at me. "Do you want to hold her?"

I nod slowly and sit down on the edge of the bed. Cuts carefully hands Charlotte to me and smiles. I hold her carefully, making sure to support her in all the right places.

The feeling of holding her is surreal. The reality of the situation has finally hit me. Cuts and I are parents. We have a beautiful daughter.

"I love you," Cuts says softly while leaning on my shoulder.

"I love you too."

The journey won't always be easy, but there is no one else that I would rather have by my side. I love Cuts and I love Charlotte.

At this moment, everything feels perfect. I have no regrets and I wouldn't change a thing.