Chapter 28

Cuts P.O.V

As of now, I'm about twenty weeks into my pregnancy. Luckily, there have been no complications. My second trimester ends in roughly seven weeks. With rough calculation, I'm about five months pregnant.

I've gained about fifteen pounds and it's all gone straight to my abdomen. It feels strange, yet good at the same time. I'm happy to be pregnant, despite my doctors being unhappy. There are risks, but I'm willing to go through with this.

I get ultrasounds at a regular rate. Horn goes with me to keep me calm. I tried to reassure him that I could go by myself so I wouldn't interfere with his work, but he refused. He actually wants to go. I think it's adorable.

In order to get me to the doctor's office without panicking, I close my eyes and listen to music. I pretend that I don't know where we're going; that it's a surprise. That tends to help me refrain from having a panic attack.

Horn stays by my side the entire time. Sometimes, I'll grab his hand and squeeze if I get nervous. He softly reassures me that everything will be fine. I just can't help but be a little anxious.

Dr. Ginnings walks out with a worrisome smile. It's obviously because I've decided to carry my child to term against her advice. I've been proving doctors wrong my entire life. I can do this. I know my limits.

"Hello, Vincent," she says while having me sit down in the examination room.

I don't particularly like when people use my real name. That name has been dead to me for quite some time. To hear someone use it is rather upsetting to me. Granted, my preferred name is rather untraditional. Perhaps that's why some people prefer not to use it.

"Hello," I say softly, squeezing Horn's hand.

Dr. Ginnings is a very kind woman, but she is a doctor. My phobia of doctors causes me to be anxious and uncomfortable around her. I don't want to be, but unfortunately, I can't help it.

"How have you been feeling?" she asks, pulling something up on her laptop.

"Good," I say after a moment.

Dr. Ginnings looks up at me with a bit of concern. She can tell that I'm uncomfortable in her office. I've never been comfortable in any doctor's office; this one is no different.

"You don't have to worry." She closes the lid of her laptop so the screen is no longer visible. "I'm not forcing you into anything that will harm you or your child," she adds.

I chew on my bottom lip for a moment before nodding. I wish that I didn't have to be so paranoid. While my past made me who I am today, I would never want to have to relive all of that pain. I wouldn't wish what I experienced on anyone.

"I know that. I'm sorry. I just get anxious near doctors," I apologize softly.

Horn kisses my knuckles gently in an attempt to reassure me that everything will be okay. He knows that my stress levels have been steadily rising ever since I walked in.

"No need to apologize. I just want to let you know," she says while setting her laptop on the desk. "Any stereotypical pregnancy symptoms? Nausea? Mood swings? Higher sex drive?" she asks.

I see Horn stifle a laugh from the corner of my eye. It's obvious that he has our activities from several nights ago in mind. Ever since my pregnancy started I've felt more sexual. I suppose it's the hormones that are causing it.

"Some slight mood swings. My nausea has been easing up," I reply, purposefully disregarding her question about my sex drive.

She doesn't seem to notice that I avoided the final symptom. Either she didn't notice or she's allowing me to think that she didn't notice. Either way, I'm happy if she doesn't bring it up again.

"Any unusual sensitivity or irritation to your skin?" she asks, typing on her laptop.

"No."

My skin isn't sensitive, it's more fragile. It bruises, scratches, scars, and burns very easily. However, my skin isn't normally very sensitive. The rest of my body has been, but not my skin in particular.

Dr. Ginnings instructs me to lay down so she can perform the ultrasound. I do so in order to make things faster. I don't want to stay in this office any longer than necessary.

I lift my shirt up over my stomach and shiver as some sort of freezing cold gel is applied to my abdomen. The gel is always cold and I don't think that I'm ever going to get used to it.

"Everything is looking good." Dr. Ginnings turns the screen and shows Horn and I our baby on the monitor.

Horn smiles and squeezes my hand. "Wow," he says softly.

He's seen the other sonogram pictures, but this is the first time Horn has actually come with me for an ultrasound. He's been rather busy with his new job. Luckily, he has today off.

"Would you like to know the sex?" she asks, moving the probe on my stomach.

Horn and I answer over each other, but our answers are different. I do not wish to know until our child is born, but apparently, Horn does.

"I'll give you two a moment to discuss," Dr. Ginnings says with a small laugh as she exits the room.

"Why don't you want to know?" Horn asks.

I shrug my shoulders gently. "I just want it to be a surprise," I explain. "Why do you want to know?"

"I think it's practical. It's easier to prepare a nursery when you know the sex," he says.

"I don't want to force gender roles onto our kid." I wipe the gel off my stomach and pull my shirt down.

"We don't have to. All I'm saying is that I would like to know the sex of our child."

"Then let her tell you and I just won't know," I suggest.

"Are you sure?" he asks.

"Yes."

"Are you really sure?"

"Yes," I say after rolling my eyes.

"Okay." Horn leaves the room to find Dr. Ginnings and learn the sex our of child.