Chapter 16

Cuts P.O.V

Today is December 25th, Christmas. Horn and I have never been really excited for the holidays. It just isn't in our nature. Neither of us have very good experiences with the holiday months.

On Halloween, I was constantly teased about not needing a costume because of how freakish I already looked. I don't have very much to be thankful for on Thanksgiving. Neither Horn or myself are religious so Christmas doesn't mean very much either. New Years is basically just a party day for most. Horn used to go out and party but now he stays in with me.

I lay my head on Horn's shoulder and sigh. He snakes his arm around my waist and kisses the side of my head.

"Tired?" he asks while playing with my hair.

"Emotionally, yes, physically, not really," I answer honestly, running my fingers through his hair.

It's gotten longer in the last two months. He hasn't cut it yet. I've gotten used to it being short. I like the feeling of it. It's easier to play with. I could play with his long hair but then it would get knots.

"At least we'll be starting a new year soon," he tells me.

"The 'new year new us' kind of stuff?" I ask with a bit of a sarcastic tone.

I know nothing really ever changes. The number of the year changes with the drop of a big glass ball. Then everything goes back to normal. No one ever changes.

"Well, we will be parents this year. That's new," he says while kissing my neck softly.

I smile and run my fingers through his hair. "I suppose so."

Things are going to change in the next year. Horn and I will be parents. We will have a child. Horn won't be able to smoke pot anymore. I'm going to have to try to not pick at my skin because children mimic their parents and I don't want to be a bad influence on them.

He smiles and pulls me onto his lap. I hug his neck to keep myself steady. My balance isn't the best sometimes. I'm not exactly graceful either.

"I love you," I say softly.

"I love you more," he says while poking my nose.

"Mm," I hum softly, "and why is that?"

"Because I love every part of you and our child."

I smile and kiss him gently. Horn is always so sweet to me. There is no one I would rather spend my life with. He's so caring and sweet and I am the only one who gets to see that side of him. I get the privilege of having his heart and he gets the privilege of having mine.

"You're such a softie," I say with a laugh.

"Only for you, Baby," he says while kissing me.

"Good. I don't want to have to fight anyone for your affection," I tell him.

He laughs softly and ruffles my hair. "You're adorable when you're jealous."

I roll my eyes at the statement. Jealousy is anything but cute. It's normally compulsive and toxic. Jealousy is one of the first stops on the road to a toxic relationship.

I suppose Horn would find it cute because I want his affection. It's not like I'm stalking him and asking where he is at all times. That's the not so cute side of jealousy.

I lean my head on his shoulder and let out a soft sigh. I'm not annoyed or agitated. I'm happy. This is a sigh of happiness.

Suddenly, I remember something. Horn and I always say no gifts on Christmas because we don't see much in material, but this is important. I want to give this to him.

I sit up from the couch and stand. Horn looks confused as to why I would be getting up right now.

"Where are you going?" he asks.

"I have something for you," I say happily while walking to my side of the bed.

"Babe, we never get each other gifts. Now I feel bad because I don't have anything for you," he says while following me.

"You got me a ring," I tell him.

"That was months ago."

"Still counts."

I open the drawer to my nightstand and pull out what I intend to give to Horn. He tries to see what it is, but I hold it against myself so he can't.

"Close your eyes," I instruct him.

"Why?" he asks.

"Just do it," I tell him.

Horn closes his eyes, thinking it's probably childish. I position his hands so his palms are flat. I gently set the picture in his hands and smile.

"Open your eyes."

He opens his eyes and looks down at the picture I've placed in his hands. A smile creeps onto his face as he sees the sonogram picture.

"Wow," he says softly, "that's amazing."

Horn hugs me close while looking at the picture. I smile and kiss his cheek.

"When did you get this done?" he asks.

"Last week while you were at work," I tell him.

"Did you go with someone? Did you freak yourself out?" he asks with a concerned tone.

"No, I went alone. It took a lot of time to calm myself down enough, but I got it done."

He pulls me close and kisses me gently. "Don't stress yourself, okay?"

"Fine. I guess you'll just have to come with me next time."

Horn smiles and kisses the top of my head. "Of course, Babe. I'd love to go with you."

I set the picture down on the nightstand and hug him. I don't like going anywhere that involves doctors by myself. Horn will help calm me down. The last thing I need right now is to have a panic attack.

Going for sonograms and check-ups isn't that bad. It's not the hospital. It isn't as stressing. I don't have a full-blown panic attack. Hopefully, I'll be more calm with Horn around.

"Merry Christmas," I say before kissing him gently.

"Merry Christmas to you too," he says while kissing my forehead.