Ch. 13

I tell him almost everything that has happened since last time and saw him and he tells me all about him. We talk about Maria and I try not to cry. He tells me about the last time he saw her. They were at a lake with his older brother. They saw a fighter fish. She told him it wasn't natural for them to be in that kind of water and it must have been let free. She said she felt like she had a job to help it and told her boyfriend to grab it and she kept it. It was a pure white one with a rare rainbow tail. At the end of telling what happened the last time they saw each other, he started tearing up. I changed the topic and talked about the past. We talked about how we always played together and kissed once. We finally made it back to reality. "I can't believe that you camp here y/n. It must be fate" He picked me up a squeezed me. He kisses my head and places me down. "Ok ok lover boy. Can we at least take y/n back to the cabin? It's almost 8 pm." Chris takes my hand and drags me to the cabin. I try to talk but he covers my mouth. All the cabin mates follow.

"What the hell was that for. I was talking to someone. You guys could have gone back without me" I cross my arms. "That wouldn't have been polite, now would it have been y/n. Leaving a helpless girl with another male alone at night. I don't think so" Tristan says in an agitated tone. "He could have walked me home and he would never do anything to hurt me." Tristan rolls his eyes. "I didn't care if we stayed." Luke says and walks over to the table. "I-I wouldn't have minded staying there and listening about y/n's past." Alex looks at me innocently. "Don't be kiss asses. You know you don't want her talking to Justin." Jay says mockingly."Don't be rude to them. Why are you guy's so against Justin? The only ones who don't have a problem with him are Alex and Luke " "Well, why were you acting so flirty with him!?" Jay yells. He plops on the couch and sighs. I start to tear up. "I'm so sorry I can't talk to an old childhood friend. He was the only thing getting me out of my shitty mood. When I saw him again it made me think that maybe my cousin is still with me. That she wanted to make me feel better and get a little piece of home. That maybe she was sending me someone to say "Hi" so that she could say bye without me wanting to die. I miss her so much. He is the closest thing I have right now that reminds me of her." By the end of my speech, I'm left bawling my eye's out. I run out of the cabin because I don't want them to see me like that. Luke and Alex run after me.

Where am I? I'm not even sure if I'm still on the camp property. I sit on a log near the massive lake. It's getting very dark. What time is it? I pull out my phone. 8:48pm. 1 New message from-Jay. I don't even bother looking at the message. I throw my phone and it lands in the water. Shit!? I get up and run into the water. I pull it out and turn it on. It still works. Thank god. I toss the phone onto shore and look at the sky with my feet still in the warm water. Wow. The sky is filled with stars. I gaze around at the trees and mountain. I stare at the water and notice something glowing. W-what is that? I walk slowly further into the water. Is that a fighter fish why would it be... I remember what Justin said about Maria finding a rainbow fighter fish. I walk closer to it until the water goes near my waist. I walk deeper and closer to the calm fish until I get a perfect view of it. It's beautiful.

The soothing movements of the fishes tail puts me in a trance

The soothing movements of the fishes tail puts me in a trance. It mesmerises my eyes with a flood of neon colors. The fish sways swiftly along the water. It swims closer to me. I feel like it's calling my name. L-like Maria is calling my name. "Y/n, come closer". I stare at the fighter fish and drop into the water. I stare into the fishes eyes. Maria? "No, this is Jake from State farm. Yes it's Maria". I laugh while still under the water. Maria. I'm so glad I can talk to you again. I missed you. "Y/n. I can't stay for long. I just wanted to answer some of your questions". Was it painful? "No. I died in my sleep. It was very peaceful". How did the fire start? "I don't know. I need to leave soon". Why? Can't you stay. Can I go with you? "No. Not yet. You still have decade's to go. Have fun at this camp. Lucky, you got a lot of cute guys going after you. I'm super jelly". I hear her laugh. The fish then swims toward my head and bumps against it. "Bye y/n. Love you. Make good choices". Her bright glow then disappears. Maria? Maria!? "MARIA!?" My breath is gone but I frantically swim to find her. I start to feel dizzy. I can't breath. I need to talk to Maria again. Everything goes black.