2

The spring rains finally got bored and gave Bold Peak a break, allowing the sun to shine from a bright sky over Baker Lake. The last drops were still evaporating when people took the streets, arguing any excuse that came to mind in order to enjoy the weather for a while.

Claire put on her earphones and left Jill's with her basket full of orders to deliver, for those who didn't feel like fetching their lunch at the diner themselves. It'd been her idea, and it'd turned out a blockbuster during the rain season. So every noon she finished her shift with that delivery.

Her first stop was always the City Hall, where her basket used to lose half its weight. Then she strolled across the park to the police station. Everybody welcomed her and her basket with big smiles. She handed out the deputies' orders and took a break to greet Ollie.

"Hey, baby!" he said, kissing her cheek. "Graham was asking about you a while ago."

"What happened? Martha didn't bring him lunch?"

"God forbid! That'd be the end of the world!"

Claire went to Graham's office still giggling. The sheriff worked on a report behind his desk.

"Afternoon, Sheriff!" said Claire, knocking on the open door.

"Hi, Claire. Everything okay on Main Street?"

"Just an alien invasion underway."

"Oh, nothing serious then. Is Alex gonna be at the bookstore later?"

"Unless she has to save the world."

"Of course. Tell her I'm dropping by when I leave here."

"Yessir!"

Claire left Graham to his paperwork and went back to Ollie's desk.

"I'm out in two hours," he said. "Wanna come to Concrete?"

"Sure. You'll find me at the bookstore."

Ollie meant to give her a peck, but the other deputies were watching, ready to tease them. So they only smiled and nodded at each other.

Claire walked down Main Street, humming to the music under her breath, greeting neighbors and delivering lunches. When she passed by the bookstore, she saw Alex with Tricia, their neighbor next door. Surely she'd come to pick up the books on meditation she'd ordered a week ago.

Working at a bookstore had opened a whole new perspective on people for Claire. One not even her empathy would hint. She would've never imagined that Pete McKayne loved Swedish thrillers--she didn't even know Sweden had bestselling thrillers! Olson--the bank manager--turned out to be a World War Two scholar. Nancy the herbalist's guilty pleasure was romance sagas. Tricia was an avid consumer of all things yoga and meditation. Albert Malher was always interested in samurais.

Like every time she thought of the Malher family, Claire recalled what had happened back in November, when Lila Malher was brought back from death by the moonflower parasite she hosted. Five people had died when the worm inside of her tried to turn into a moonflower mother tree--including Rob Thompson, who was only eighteen and whose only mistake had been liking Lila. His parents would never get over losing their only child, and their deep, helpless pain affected Claire whenever she came across them.

Claire walked into Pat's realtor office and found him talking with George. They welcomed her with big grins, celebrating she'd come to save them from starvation. The girl didn't linger there, with the excuse of the orders she still had to deliver. She didn't like being around George anymore. Short after Alex rescued him from The Guardian's cave, all of his feelings for her had grown bitter, turning into something very close to resentment. Ever since, he always tried to ignore Alex in the most notorious ways he could, for everybody to notice. And he'd gone so far as to avoid greeting her or talking to her.

Alex accepted his rude attitude with an understanding resignation totally unlike her. Which Claire knew was born from guilt. Alex still blamed herself for not loving him back. And no matter how cold and mean he behaved, she still cared about him.

Tom's visits to Bold Peak only muddled things between Alex and George, but Claire agreed that her aunt wasn't about to become a nun to keep from upsetting Mister Carson. Especially with a man like Tom in her life.

With his distant, even broody ways, Claire couldn't help a smile whenever he was around. Because there was this amazing strength in Tom that fascinated the girl. The same strength that had brought Alex back from death's doorstep after her encounter with The Guardian. Tom was patient, constant, relentless. He had that sixth sense when it came to those he loved, which Claire considered bordering empathy. And he was fiercely loyal in his affections. He loved Alex from his core, and his love didn't need anything else to be than knowing that Alex existed.

By his side, Alex felt more contented than she'd been in her whole life. She'd found in Tom the best companion. As prone to action as Aidan, but with both the sense and the sensitivity the older Holster would never have, Tom was the only person Alex opened up to completely, with a degree of honesty she would offer to no one else--not even Claire. There was no answer she'd deny to him, or the tiniest side to her she'd try to conceal from him. Tom wasn't her center, but rather the water that eased her thirst.

They talked over the phone a couple of times a week tops, and they hardly texted each other. Neither of them needed to be pending on each other's every move, because they both knew the other one was there. They got together every two or three weeks, always in Bold Peak. And every couple of months, Tom would bring his son with him.

Samuel loved the Corbans, but his one and only love was Felicity Logan. It was always trouble, parting those two. So when Alex and Tom went to Stu's for an ale with Kat and Bass, Claire and Ollie would babysit both kids. Samuel was Felicity's sole hero, and Samuel thought his duty to protect her--be it from a snarling dog or the cars when they crossed the street hand in hand.

Recalling the two children made Claire smile as she walked back to the bookstore.