25

Alex's call found Markus at his office with the marketing techs. The men traded a mocking smirk when Markus spoke in his merry way to repeat what he'd already told Sandy.

"Her mom was rushed to the ER and Alice left for Seattle three days ago to check on her."

"And did you talk to her since she left?"

"Sure. This morning. Why?"

"Nothing. I just wanted to talk to her about doing something for Sandy's birthday next week. Any idea when she's coming back?"

"Nope. It depends on when her mom's discharged."

"Of course. Okay, see you around."

"See you, Al." Markus disconnected and turned to the techs. "That was the hunter."

One of them shrugged. "So?"

"I think she knows about Alice."

"About who?"

"Desserts chick," said the other tech.

"That one," grunted Markus while the other two chuckled.

"So what if she knows," said the tech.

"That can mean trouble."

"For her."

Markus rolled his eyes and didn't bother arguing.

Alex floored the Hilux down Route 20. She couldn't put her finger on it, but something about Markus' quick, carefree answers didn't quite fit. She was about to drop her phone on the passenger seat when it rang. She frowned. Led Zeppelin's Black Dog was assigned to only one number among her contacts. She tightened her grasp on the wheel and picked up.

"Aidan?"

Aidan's voice was rough and casual as usual. "Hey, Princess. Been a while. How're you?"

Alex frowned deeper. How are you? Since when did Aidan Holster mind his manners?

"What's wrong, Aidan?"

He scoffed. He should've known better than trying to beat around the bush with her. "Say, Princess, d'you happen to know one George Carson, from San Francisco?"

.

.

Keep reading on the next episode: The Gathering, GoM 2x3