5

Tom and Claire traded a horrified look. Not because of Alex's answer, but her dull, lifeless voice.

"I'm sorry, Greg. But looks like my dear Miss Corban doesn't wanna be rescued after all."

Thames kept his eyes on Blake to say," Tom, she will come with you."

Tom stalked across the clearing, hanging his bow to his back. Blake sat up and Claire materialized before him, crossing her blades against his throat.

"Careful, niece, I don't want you to cut yourself," Blake said, not the least bit worried. "You don't think you can hurt me."

Claire flashed her own version of Aidan's trademark smirk. "Not a chance. But bet you wouldn't wanna ruin your Armani with blood."

Blake scoffed. "Smart girl."

While they spoke, Tom bent his knee before Alex and took her shackled hand gently. She didn't seem to register. Then he brushed Blake's hand away from her head and pressed Alex's fingers.

"Watch it dog, or I'm grabbing the newspaper."

Tom ignored him and leaned toward Alex. He caressed her face softly as he whispered in her ear, "It's me, love. Take my hand. Let's leave the darkness behind together, like we always do."

She didn't seem to react, but her fingers stirred in Tom's hand. He grabbed her other arm and pulled her carefully to her feet. Alex was barefoot, and her first steps were hesitating. But Tom held her up and guided her to Thames' side.

"Claire," Thames called. "Help Tom."

The girl retreated to his side and saw his eyes light up with a white glow. Another growl of pain came out of the runts and the demons and he dropped his hands. The demons fell from the trunks and stayed down. None of the runts tried to get up, still groaning. Thames turned to Alex and rested his hand on the iron bar holding the shackles. It hissed and fumed for a moment, then turned to ashes and the shackles fell to the ground. Tom held Alex tight, kissing her hair while her arms hung limp to her sides.

"Go."

Claire winked at Blake, riffling her fingers goodbye at him, and followed Tom, who led Alex into the woods. Blake stood up and sank his hands in his pockets, strolling across the clearing toward Thames.

"Do you really think any of you is leaving here alive, Greg?"

"They are, unlike you."

"Really. Go figure."

"Unless you've grown too old for this, you can tell I'm not afraid of dying here tonight."

"About time."

"And you're coming down with me."

"You think you can kill me? You and what army, Greg?" Blake looked up, as if listening. "I don't hear any heavenly trumpets. I'm sorry, no cavalry on the way."

"I know I can't kill you. But your soldiers will need a couple of centuries to put all of your ashes back together and stuff them into a meat suit that wouldn't melt away like butter."

"You know? It's sad, hearing you raving like this." Blake looked past Thames, at the woods, to call, "Alexandra! Come here! Party's over!"

Down the trail to the cliff, Alex halted sharply and tried to shake Tom's hands off of her. He tried to hold her but she squirmed, panting.

"Let'er go, Tom! You're hurting her!"

Claire's words surprised Tom so much, that he loosened his arms around Alex. She staggered back, breathing heavily and looking like a cornered animal. Claire stopped Tom once again when Alex spun around and hurried back to the clearing.

"What the hell?" Tom mumbled, not believing his eyes.

Claire patted his arm, nodding ahead. "C'mon!" she said, leading him after Alex.

Thames frowned horrified when Alex brushed past him to stand by Blake, who scoffed at his shock and rounded Alex's waist with his arm.

"Good luck the next time, Greg," he said, and turned to Alex. "Kiss me, Alexandra."

Tom and Claire stormed into the clearing and the girl was forced to grab Tom by both arms when they saw Alex grabbing Blake's face and kissing him in no hurry. Thames glanced at them from over his shoulder and noticed Claire's puzzled frown while she watched her uncle.

"What is it?"

"A ruse...?" the girl murmured.

Blake broke the kiss and touched Alex's belly, asking in the right volume for the others to hear, "Is my baby fine?"

"Yes, my Duke."

"Good girl."