10

The church was closed at night, but never locked. Alex pushed the heavy gate open only enough to sneak in. She closed it and rested her back against it, as if she could leave the troubles out. When her eyes got used to the quiet shadows, she spotted the noiseless figure moving by the altar. And she wasn't surprised. Thames lit a couple of candles at the Sacred Heart's feet and walked down the aisle in no hurry. Alex stepped up to meet him, feeling she carried a hill on her shoulders.

She didn't want to be there. She wanted to huddle up in Tom's arms and let his quiet affection hold her up and comfort her. But she also needed him safe. Yeah, getting ready for a funeral in the morning. But safe. Her town wasn't safe for him anymore. Maybe she wasn't safe for him.

Oh, God, it hurt so much. All of it. Being away from Tom. Alice dead. Markus going dark side. George about to bed a possessed woman. Even Old Bootter's death hurt, because she so needed him there with her that night. To scold her and mock her. And tell her how on earth she was going to kill one of her best friends and make a stand to Lucifer's wingman.

She let Thames grab her arms gently and rested her forehead against his chest, letting tears roll down her pale, cold cheeks, so hard she felt she'd never be done crying.

Her knees faltered and Thames guided her to the closest pew. He helped her sit down and sat by her side.

And at that moment, through her pain, she saw him clearly.

"How many times did you do it?" she asked when she was able to speak again.

"Seven."

She nodded. That was why he was there, waiting to keep her from falling to pieces. That was why he'd known Bootter, when he looked hardly old enough to be a toddler back when Bootter was a hunter. And that was why Bootter had never mentioned him-save his hidden letter.

"My Grandpa's book says nobody ever survived channeling more than three times."

"That's correct."

"So what're you now?"

"A vessel."

"A vessel for what?"

"The same energy that gives life to angels."

"That's what's talking through you now?"

"It's been long since we're one."

"How's it like?"

"The most wonderful and the hardest thing on earth."

"D'you remember what it was like, being human?"

"Of course."

"D'you miss it?"

"My emotions are different from yours. I am what I am. I don't regret it. I have work to do."

"Stopping Askaroth from opening the gates of Hell."

"Yes."

"Was it hard, making up your mind to channel a fourth time, knowing what would happen to you?"

"I didn't have much of a choice. Hundreds of lives were at stake."

Alex drew in a shaky breath. She hated this feeling so weak, the tears still in her eyes, the fear, the despair.

"I'm scared," she muttered.

"You should be. It means you're seeing things right as they are."

"I'm not sure I can do it."

"You can. But you shouldn't if you don't want to. You see, this can only be done with an open mind and out of free will."

"Is there any chance of turning back before it's too late?"

"You won't need to cross the line. I'm here to help you in your fight."

"So you're staying?"

"For as long as I can. Now Askaroth has the Cross, he may try a move somewhere else."

"And then you'd have to leave."

"I'm afraid so."