7

People worked along the west limit, spread on a wriggling line moving up and down and around the hills. Claire and Mark had excelled at their organization skills. They'd decided to keep the volunteers on the safest side of town, and they'd even set two groups to bring water and quick bites to the volunteers. Many neighbors had radios, and Graham had lent all the walkies they kept at the station in order to keep the groups communicated.

Aidan's call found Mark and Claire at the terrace near the top of the Bald Hill. From there they could see most of the groups, and they kept a radio at hand and a map of town open on the Challenger's hood. So the word to not mark trees spread among the groups in a few minutes, and nobody carved the sigil on another tree.

Father Jason and Thames bounced up and down the bumpy roads, checking on the volunteers. Alex called them to let them know about her deal with The Guardian. The news puzzled Thames, so Father Jason told him about the ghostly shaman that always seemed willing to help Alex.

Thames studied the map open on his lap and chuckled in disbelief. "Then maybe we can have it done right today!"

"Tomorrow tops. Many men promised to join us after work, in the afternoon," replied Father Jason, steering the wheel with expert hands.

A grin brought up all of Thames' tiny wrinkles. "Father, you should be bragging about your amazing parishioners."

About noon, Claire and Mark came down from the Bald Hill and started sending people to Boulder Creek. Their plan was waiting for men to join the volunteers and then send seniors, women and children home and move to the southern limit—the dangerous one. They wanted to have the barrier ready before any demons arrived to take the post now the Keepers were gone.

After a quick lunch, Claire left Mark in charge and went to the hospital to check on Ollie. On her way to his room, she came across Dr. Lorrigan.

"Hi, Claire. Visiting your sweetheart? He's doing fine. I think I'm discharging him tomorrow."

"That'd be great! And what about Jack, Doctor? How is he?"

Lorrigan's smile turned into a sad grimace that killed Claire's good mood on the spot.

"Not well, I'm afraid. He's been back to surgery twice, to stop internal bleedings."

"But he's gonna be okay... right?

"That's what we all hope, Claire. But right now he's still hanging on a thread."

Claire sighed, appalled by the doctor's words. "Please, keep me up."

"Sure."

At least Lorrigan was right about Ollie, and she found him sprawled on his hospital bed, watching football reruns. She was still deciding whether telling Ollie about his friend when they heard the speakers at the hall calling for Lorrigan, and they saw Bass and his parents hurry down the hall to the nurse station.

"D'you think something happened to Jack?" Ollie asked, concerned.

"Maybe. Let's wait for Lorrigan to come talk to Jack's parents."

"Okay..."

* * *

Alex was about a mile west of the construction site, near the mid-course of Boulder Creek, with one of the groups of volunteers, when her phone buzzed. Claire's voice was enough for her to know it was bad news.

"It's Jack, Al," the girl said at the brink of tears. "He..."

"I'm on my way."

"No, no need. Bass got it covered. I'm staying here with Ollie a while longer."

Alex set her jaw. Ollie, of course. Jack and Ollie were friends from elementary. "Sure, kiddo. Call me if you guys need anything."

She disconnected and walked further away from the group. She was growing sick and tired of feeling this hurt and frustrated around the clock.

Aidan noticed something was off and followed her. He only needed to meet her eyes to get it.

"Not Claire's boyfriend," he ventured.

"No. It's Jack, the boy that was injured against the Keepers earlier last night."

Aidan rested his hands on her shoulders. "Al, don't."

She snorted and shook her head.

"Take a minute and get yourself together. We've got work to do, to prevent this from happening again. So head high, Princess, and keep it rolling."

Alex breathed deep, nodding. He waited for her to meet his eyes. Then he nodded back and left her alone.