18

Alex parked the Hilux just before the welcome sign at the southern limit of Bold Peak. Aidan pulled over a couple of yards behind, eyes on the rearview as Ollie stopped his F100 inches away from the Challenger's bumper. Bass and Phil had left their trucks on the shoulder across the road. All of them gathered by the Hilux to ready their arms. Claire and Alex walked a few steps away from them and the girl narrowed her eyes, tilting her head as if listening.

"About twenty men all of them pretty violent," she said. "Markus is eager to shed some blood. And the demons are weak, really thirsty."

Alex frowned. "You can sense all that from here?"

"They stink like a container full of rotten fish, Al."

"Okay. Bormstone?"

Claire grimaced. "Hardly."

"Alright, go ready your crossbow, kiddo. Ask Tom to help you, so you don't fasten the quiver too tight."

Like a relay, Aidan came to Alex's side when Claire headed back to the Hilux. They looked to the woods south of the house.

"One of your friends says you can see their bonfire from across the road," Aidan said.

"Meaning they're not far into the woods," Alex said.

"That's good. So say, Princess, what d'we have? What can your friends do?"

"They're all game hunters. Damn good shots."

"So they can back us up. Anyone good for a mano a mano?"

"Tom." Alex hesitated. "And Claire."

Aidan frowned at him. "Seriously?"

"Hate to say it, but she got really good at it."

"Not sure I dare to argue anymore."

Alex scoffed. "You're gonna hold it against me for ages."

"Till death do us part, Princess."

Back with the others, Alex said to them," Bass, you guys ambush them from the south and the east to cover us. Ollie, Claire, you're taking the west. Use only the marked arrow points, kiddo." She turned to Tom. "We're going straight to them."

"Give us ten minutes to take positions, Al," said Bass. "I'll ring you."

"Okay." Alex produced her phone to mute it, so it would only vibrate. "Remember they guys in the woods with Markus and the Keepers are just regular humans."

"What's regular about teaming up with demons?" argued Ollie.

"I mean a bullet in the leg will do. No need for a kill shot."

"Yeah, well," Bass grunted, and nodded to his friends. "Let's go."

Alex and the others watched them hurry away down the road by the lake, and waited until the deer hunters disappeared down the slope toward the woods.

Alex turned to Claire.

The girl flashed a reassuring smile and pressed her arm. "Don't worry. I'll be fine."

"You better," Alex grumbled.

Claire and Ollie followed Bass down the road. Alex suffocated a worried sigh and led Tom and the Holsters down the track toward Markus' house.

There was nobody in sight when they reached the front yard, and they sneaked among the parked cars toward the passage between the house and the cliff. For some reason, Alex felt relieved seeing George's car wasn't there—as if it made any difference. She showed the way to the other three past the passage, across the backyard and up to the first trees. There she signaled the Holsters to let Tom take the lead. He drew an arrow to his bow and guided them under the trees, closer to the glow of the bonfire at the clearing.

They crouched to hide in the thicket and wait for Bass' call. From the shadows, they got a good view of the scene playing around the bonfire.

The men stood around it, their backs turned to the woods. Across the clearing, Harry Bormstone hung from his tied hands, pinned to a tree above his head. His clothes were bloody rags, his face a bruised mess, his eyes so swollen he couldn't open them anymore. He didn't look conscious. The Keepers sat on wooden armchairs to Harry's right. Their eyes glowed red, fixed on their prey with a hungry stare, as they tried to sit straight and not look too battered. Markus stood behind them.

Alex counted heads and set her jaw. The runts outnumbered them two to one, and that didn't include the demons. Mark seemed to get to the same conclusion at the same time.

"Shit," he growled.

Aidan heard Alex move between him and Tom and glanced down at her, seeing the dagger in her hand.

"Nice timing to go suicidal, Princess," he whispered.

Alex pinched her fingertip. "Just getting the fireworks ready," she replied.

"Tell me the holy priest taught you some trick."

"You bet."

Tom waited for her to turn to him and frowned. She managed a quick apologetic smile and looked down, to draw the sigils on her palms with her own blood.

She wasn't done yet when Markus walked between the Keepers and closer to the fire. One of the runts stepped up and offered him with both hands a huge golden knife with red gems on its hilt. Markus grabbed it and stood by Harry.

"Shit," growled Aidan. "Where the hell are your friends?"

Markus grabbed Harry's hair and yanked his head up and back, exposing his neck.

The Holsters raised their shotguns and Tom took aim.

Markus turned to look straight at them across the fire. His lips curled up in that merry smile that had always been his trademark for his friends, as he rested the blade against Harry's throat. His voice matched his smile.

"Come out, Al. We were waiting for you."

.

.

Keep reading on the next episode: Ashes To Ashes, GoM 2x05