13

Tom left early in the morning, to be back to Newhalem in time for Diane's burial. Alex was walking him out when Claire's awful Toxic ringtone sounded from the kitchen. They heard the girl greet Ollie and resumed their way to the Yukon.

"I'll be back in the afternoon," he said, resting his arm on the rolled-down window.

"Then it's hasta la vista, baby," she replied, smiling.

"Take care, okay?"

"Hey, it's seven a.m. I don't think demons get up so early."

"So funny."

Alex kissed him goodbye and stepped back, lingering on the sidewalk until he drove away. As soon as she went back inside, Claire came from the kitchen, bringing their summer jackets.

"Bass just called the police," the girl said. "He and his bunch found a body southwest of the old sawmill."

"What!?"

Claire gave Alex her jacket and the car keys. "Old Patterson," she said, opening the front door. "Ripped open. And Bass thinks his heart's missing."

"Where did they found'im?" asked Alex, following her out.

"Past the town line."

"Shit!" They got in the Hilux and she started the engine, realizing her mind was an odd blank. "Where are we going?"

Claire frowned, surprised at her hesitation. "Dunno. To see the body? To the police station? To church?"

"Shit. We should go to all those places. At the same time." Alex geared in and drove toward Main Street. "Call Betty and ask'er to wake Bormstone up. We're picking him up in fifty."

They knew Father Jason was busy at church, so they went straight to his house. Thames came to the door, wearing a regular shirt and jeans. As soon as he heard the news, he rushed to the Hilux after them.

At the inn, Betty told them that Harry wouldn't answer his door, not the room phone.

"Then I need his key, Betty," said Alex.

"I can't, Alex. He—"

"It's an emergency, Betty."

The woman knew better than arguing when a Corban used the word 'emergency'. So she handed out the key and led them upstairs to the hunter's room.

Alex banged on the door. "WAKE UP, BORMSTONE!"

There was no answer, not a sound from behind the door, so Alex opened it wide. The room was empty. The hunter's stuff was still there, but the bed hadn't been used.

"Holy shit! That frigging asshole!" Alex snarled. She spun around and strode out.

Claire apologized to Betty and hurried with Thames on Alex's heels.

"What is it?" the girl asked, climbing in the Hilux backseat—it didn't feel right, making Thames sit there.

"He must've gone back to Markus' by himself!"

Thames' eyes widened. "What?"

"He wanted to retrieve the Cross last night. Well, try to retrieve it," Claire replied.

"But I wouldn't let'im." Alex snorted, turning south at the road by the lake. "Where's the body, Claire?"

"The furthest you can get with the truck is the sawmill. The body's half a mile down a trail that starts there."

"Ask Ollie to keep the medics from touching it till we can see it."

Thames studied Alex while Claire texted Ollie. "You think Bormstone went back after you took him to the inn."

"I don't know where else he can be. His jacket and his shotgun weren't in his room. Damn idiot! He could be dead by now."

"Or worse." Alex and Claire frowned. Not at Thames' words, but at his matter-of-fact tone. He noticed their reaction. "He's of more use to them alive than dead."

Claire made the mistake of asking, "What would they want from him? They already have the Cross."

"Torturing him for the kicks?" Thames replied with a quick shrug. "Maybe try to force him to giving them the Cross?"

"What d'you mean, giving?" asked Alex.

"They may have it, but they cannot even touch it."

"That angry burst last night," Claire murmured. "The Cross tried to kill the demons in the room."

"They must dare each other to touch it," said Thames. "You see, the alchemy embedded in the crosses allowed them to sense what's in the heart of any creature touching them. To reject evil and strengthen good. But this is the last one, so its inner alchemy's been enhanced five times."

"Meaning it doesn't need to be touched to know whether you're good or bad," said Claire.

"Exactly."

Alex glanced at him. "What's the catch?"

Thames sighed. "Harry's no ordinary man. He's a hunter. And his brother held a high rank in the Order of Protectors. If he ever holds it, and out of his own will—whatever the reason—he hands it over to them, his will binds the Cross and it can do nothing to prevent it."

"Meaning the demons could touch it?" asked Claire.

"So they could destroy it!" Alex snarled.

"But Harry would never do such a thing!"

Thames looked back at her, grimacing. "How much torture can he take, before breaking and doing anything they want just to stop the pain?"

The girl stiffened, horrified. "You mean...?"

"Yes, Claire," Alex replied, looking at her in the rearview. "They're gonna torture the shit outta him."

"Oh, boy..."

Thames sighed again. "The problem is that we cannot tell if Harry's got the strength to die before breaking."